Afghanistan, Belarus agree to deepen industrial cooperation
Afghanistan and Belarus have agreed to advance joint industrial projects, investment and technical cooperation following talks in Minsk, as Kabul s...
Nearly half of 1,100 metric tonnes of emergency food rations stored in a U.S. government warehouse in Dubai will be destroyed after reaching their expiry date. The aid remained unused following a freeze on funding introduced during President Donald Trump’s administration.
The rations consisted of high-energy fortified wheat biscuits, typically used in crisis zones where cooking facilities are unavailable. While 622 tonnes have been salvaged and will be distributed in Syria, Bangladesh, and Myanmar, the remaining 496 tonnes — worth approximately $793,000 — will be incinerated or sent to landfill. The disposal is expected to cost the U.S. government an additional $100,000.
These biscuits are designed to provide instant nutrition, particularly for children and vulnerable individuals. The amount set for destruction could have fed around 27,000 people for an entire month. Originally, this batch was intended for humanitarian partners in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
The situation has reignited concerns over the impact of widespread aid cuts, which have resulted in the dismissal of thousands of USAID staff and disrupted humanitarian operations globally.
A spokesperson for the U.S. State Department confirmed the destruction of the stockpiles but stated that the biscuits were procured under the previous administration “as contingency stock exceeding projections” — and had expired before they could be distributed.
In recent weeks, an agreement was reached to transfer the salvaged 622 tonnes to the World Food Programme (WFP), allowing the biscuits to reach areas in urgent need. However, the delay has drawn criticism from aid experts and civil society organisations.
“This kind of waste, at a time when global hunger is at an all-time high, illustrates the devastating consequences of aid suspensions,” said Alexandra Rutishauser-Perera, Head of Nutrition at Action Against Hunger UK.
According to the United Nations, 319 million people around the world currently face acute food insecurity. Of these, 1.9 million — primarily in Gaza and Sudan — are experiencing catastrophic hunger and are on the verge of famine.
The United States remains the world’s largest humanitarian donor, contributing at least 38% of all UN-recorded aid. Last year, the U.S. disbursed $61 billion in foreign assistance, more than half of which was channelled through USAID.
In March, the Trump administration informed Congress of plans to close USAID and lay off nearly all staff in two phases, scheduled for 1 July and 2 September.
In a statement marking USAID’s formal transition to the U.S. State Department on 1 July, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced a shift away from what he described as a “charity-based model” of aid.
“We will prioritise nations that have demonstrated the willingness and capacity to help themselves. Our resources will be targeted to areas where they can generate a multiplier effect and encourage sustainable private sector and global investment — including from American businesses,” he said.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment