Trump says Iran not ready to make the 'right deal'
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over th...
A restaurant in China’s northern Shanxi province has sparked backlash from animal welfare groups and online critics for allowing diners to hug lion cubs during a four-course tea service. The establishment insists the animals are properly cared for.
While some zoos in countries such as Singapore or Australia do offer dining experiences near animal habitats or at wildlife sights, it is rare for a restaurant to have direct physical interactions with wild animals.
Customers of Wanhui restaurant, which opened in June in Taiyuan city, have posted pictures and videos of themselves on China’s WeChat and Weibo platforms cuddling lion cubs.
The restaurant sells roughly 20 tickets a day to those looking to hug the animals as part of the set menu which costs 1,078 yuan ($150).
The restaurant also features lamas, turtles and deer on its page on Douyin, China’s equivalent to social media app TikTok.
The majority of online reactions expressed criticism, saying the restaurant’s concept is dangerous and not good for the animals.
"This is for the rich to play," said one Weibo user.
"The relevant departments should take care of it," said another user.
"Tearing lion cubs from their mothers so diners can handle them over afternoon tea is exploitation, not entertainment. These animals are living, feeling beings, not toys," said People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals Senior Vice President Jason Baker.
He also added that the animals were "treated like nothing more than social media props."
Peter Li, China policy expert for Humane World for Animals, said, "Exploiting wild animals for selfies and marketing gimmicks is not only appallingly bad animal welfare, it's also potentially risky for customers."
"Even a young lion is capable of lashing out and injuring a human. So, treating wild animals like props is both morally unacceptable and dangerously irresponsible."
Last month, Chinese authorities investigated a hotel with a similar concept that offered a 'wake-up service' where red pandas were allowed to climb onto guests' beds, State Media reported.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Tunisian authorities have recovered the bodies of four migrants after a boat carrying 15 people capsized off the southeastern coast, with search operations continuing for those still missing, according to a migrant rights group.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods after Washington and Ottawa failed to reach a new trade agreement, with both sides accusing the other of derailing negotiations at the final stage.
Türkiye has asked Interpol to issue a red notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a criminal case linked to Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza, Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said on Friday.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment