live UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents amid Iran conflict deadlock- Middle East conflict
A drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, officials said on Sunday, with ...
Ukraine is set to become the first European nation to introduce Starlink’s mobile services, with leading telecom provider Kyivstar preparing to roll out messaging capabilities by the end of this year and full mobile satellite broadband by mid-2026, according to the company’s CEO, Oleksandr Komarov.
In an interview with Reuters in Rome, Komarov revealed that field testing is already underway as part of an agreement with SpaceX’s Starlink satellite network, signed for implementation by the end of 2024. The initiative will allow Elon Musk’s satellite internet service to deliver direct-to-cell connectivity in Ukraine.
The technology, which enables smartphones to connect directly to satellites equipped with modems functioning as orbiting cell towers, will initially support messaging apps such as WhatsApp and Signal.
“The first phase is over-the-top (OTT) messaging... this will be operational by the end of this year,” Komarov said.
“By early 2026—let’s say Q2 2026 to be cautious—we aim to offer mobile satellite broadband and voice services,.” he added.
SpaceX has not commented publicly on the development. In the U.S. T-Mobile announced plans in June to begin offering data services via its satellite-to-cell network, powered by Starlink, starting in October.
Komarov made his remarks ahead of the Ukraine Recovery Conference in Rome, a major international event focused on Ukraine’s reconstruction following more than three years of war. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is also participating in the summit.
Kyivstar, which is owned by global telecom group VEON, is additionally preparing for a U.S. stock market debut.
Komarov said the company is working towards a NASDAQ listing, with plans to finalise the move in the third quarter of 2025.
“I believe it will be a historic step—the first direct listing of a Ukrainian company on a U.S. exchange during wartime,” he noted.
Despite intensified Russian attacks on Ukraine’s energy infrastructure in recent weeks, Komarov said the country’s telecommunications systems remain resilient. He pointed out that although last year’s strikes on power grids triggered widespread blackouts, the network’s capacity has improved significantly.
“We’re much more resilient now than we were in 2022,” he said. “Currently, we can keep our fixed and mobile services running for up to 10 hours during power outages—even nationwide blackouts.”
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well as other major units, were key to "more thoroughly deterring war," state media KCNA reported on Monday.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Samsung Electronics and its labour union commenced high-stakes talks on Monday (18 May) in a last-ditch bid to avert what would be the biggest strike in the tech giant's history.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 18th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment