Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
FIFA's plan to sell a piece of its business empire to outside investors has collapsed following an open revolt by soccer officials worldwide and a major rift among top FIFA executives, the New York Post reported on Friday.
The deal, in which FIFA had aimed to raise up to $4.2 billion by selling a roughly 20 per cent stake in the group, valuing the new arm at $20 billion, is no longer active, according to a report citing four sources familiar with the matter.
Reuters could not immediately verify the report. FIFA, football’s global governing body, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The proposal, announced on Tuesday, faced immediate opposition from European football’s governing body UEFA, which accused FIFA of putting the sport’s “soul” up for sale.
On Thursday, UEFA’s 55 member nations voted unanimously to boycott all FIFA tournaments, less than two weeks after Spain’s men’s team were crowned world champions.
Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to FIFA President Gianni Infantino, resigned on Friday in protest against the plan. FIFA Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour also criticised the proposal, saying staff were “deceived” and describing it as a “project of one person.”
FIFA had proposed creating a $20 billion subsidiary, FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE), to manage the World Cup and other events. The organisation said “nobody is selling football” and argued that the proposal had been misrepresented in the media.
Thrive Eternal, a fund run by Thrive Capital, founded by Joshua Kushner, was expected to lead the proposed investor group, FIFA said. Joshua Kushner is the brother of Jared Kushner, U.S. President Donald Trump’s son-in-law.
Infantino said in a letter to FIFA member associations that each federation would receive $40 million if they approved the proposal by 19 September.
FIFA said the plan would not move forward without support from a majority of its member associations.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment