European offer to delay Iran sanctions remains ‘on the table’
Britain, France, and Germany have confirmed that their proposal to extend the Iran nuclear deal and delay the reimposition of UN sanctions for 30 days...
China has pledged $500 million to the World Health Organization (WHO), becoming the agency’s largest single financial contributor at a time when it faces deep budgetary constraints.
The commitment, reported by Nikkei Asia, comes as the WHO prepares to cut staff and reduce its 2026–2027 spending by 20% amid global funding shortfalls.
The move positions Beijing as a central player in global health governance, potentially expanding its influence over the international body as traditional Western support wavers. The WHO had faced significant financial uncertainty following the United States’ decision to withdraw funding in 2020 under former President Donald Trump — a move reversed by the Biden administration in 2021 but not without lingering fiscal disruptions.
The Chinese contribution comes at a critical moment for the WHO, which is currently grappling with emerging health threats, pandemic preparedness reforms, and increasing pressure to deliver with fewer resources. According to internal projections, the organization may need to scale back programs across infectious disease surveillance, vaccine distribution, and public health capacity building in low-income nations if alternative funding sources are not secured.
While the WHO has welcomed new commitments from member states, China’s expanded role is likely to draw scrutiny from countries concerned about the politicization of global health policy. Critics have raised questions in the past about the WHO’s handling of pandemic-related investigations and the influence of major state donors.
Strategic Soft Power
Analysts view China’s move as part of a broader effort to enhance its soft power and diplomatic reach, particularly in developing countries where WHO assistance is most impactful. The pledge aligns with Beijing’s existing investments in health infrastructure through its Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) and support for vaccine equity programs during the COVID-19 pandemic.
With its $500 million commitment, China surpasses other major donors, including the United States, Germany, and the United Kingdom, at a time when many Western governments are reassessing foreign aid priorities.
The WHO has not yet issued an official statement on the Chinese pledge but is expected to address its financial outlook and donor contributions at its next Executive Board meeting.
The funding injection could help stabilize WHO operations in the short term, but the broader implications for governance, transparency, and neutrality in global health leadership will likely remain key topics of debate among member states and global health experts.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said on Friday that his government is considering reciprocal tariffs on U.S. goods after Washington imposed a 50% duty on Brazilian imports earlier this month.
Türkiye has decided to bar Israeli vessels from using its ports, forbid Turkish ships from using Israeli ports and impose restrictions on planes entering Turkish airspace, Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Friday(August 29).
Russia has supported Azerbaijan and Armenia’s decision to dissolve the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Minsk Group, stating that the structure will be terminated by the end of 2025.
The Israeli military announced on Friday that Gaza City will no longer be covered by its limited daily humanitarian pause, citing the area as a "dangerous combat zone."
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is highlighting Türkiye’s push for homegrown air defence, as the country develops new systems and deepens defence ties internationally.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment