Georgia and Azerbaijan sign landmark energy and transport agreements in Baku
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partne...
Armenia and Georgia will co-host the 2029 FIFA U-20 World Cup, the sport’s global governing body announced on Wednesday (29 April), bringing the youth tournament to the South Caucasus for the second consecutive edition after the 2027 event.
The decision was confirmed at FIFA’s 76th Congress in Vancouver. It marks the first time Armenia will host a major international football tournament and the first major FIFA event to be staged in Georgia.
Levan Kobiashvili, President of the Georgian Football Federation, said the award represents a major milestone for the country’s football development.
“I congratulate all football fans and I am sure that this tournament will leave the same mark on the development of our football as the international tournaments that we had a positive experience hosting in the recent past,” he said.

Armen Melikbekyan, President of the Football Federation of Armenia, said both nations were committed to delivering a world-class competition.
“I am sure that both Georgia and Armenia will host the World Cup with dignity. We will do everything to make this tournament stand out in the history of FIFA youth world ranking tournaments.”
The Football Federation of Armenia described FIFA’s decision as an “unprecedented achievement for Armenian football” in a separate statement.
The FIFA U-20 World Cup has been held biennially since 1977, with 24 teams competing in the final tournament.
Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan will jointly host the next edition in 2027, making the 2029 tournament the second consecutive staging of the competition in the wider region.
Both countries have previously hosted FIFA events: Azerbaijan staged the 2012 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup, while Uzbekistan hosted the 2024 FIFA Futsal World Cup.
Armenia and Georgia formally submitted their joint bid in June 2024 in Yerevan, the Armenian capital.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partnership set to shape the South Caucasus corridor for decades to come.
Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has called for closer security coordination between Central Asia and China, warning that expanding trade and infrastructure links are exposing the region to increasingly sophisticated cross-border threats.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United Nations and Türkiye, while flotilla organisers said several ships continued sailing toward Gaza despite the operation.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment