Swine fever: Eight new suspected cases hit Spain’s pork exports

Swine fever: Eight new suspected cases hit Spain’s pork exports
Spanish hams vacuum packed are seen at a factory in Guijuelo, Spain, April 14, 2020.
Reuters

Eight more suspected cases of African swine fever have been found near Barcelona as Spain battles to contain growing damage to its multi-billion-euro pork exports.

Eight additional wild boar showing signs of African swine fever were detected near Barcelona, La Vanguardia reported on Sunday, citing sources close to the Catalan agriculture ministry. Two infections have been confirmed, while 12 further animals are awaiting test results. If verified, the total number of infected boar would rise to 14.

Reuters could not reach the Catalan government for comment.

Taiwan has banned all pork products and live pig imports, while China has stopped pork imports from Barcelona province, according to a Chinese Customs document seen by Reuters. Britain has temporarily halted pork imports from Catalonia, and Mexico has suspended imports of pork products from Spain.

Spain’s agriculture minister said on Saturday that about one-third of the country’s pork export certificates had been blocked following the first outbreak of the disease since 1994 in Europe’s largest pork-producing nation.

“Of the 400 export certificates to 104 countries, a third are blocked. We are working to open them as quickly as possible,” Agriculture Minister Luis Planas told reporters. He said Spain’s pork exports are worth 8.8 billion euros a year, adding: “Our task is to keep international markets open.”

African swine fever does not affect humans but spreads quickly among pigs and wild boar. Several countries have already introduced restrictions in response to the cases in Spain.

Tags