Three killed in San Diego Islamic Centre shooting as police confirm two teenage suspects dead
Two teenage gunmen opened fire on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, killing a security guard ...
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Wednesday that the Palestinian group Hamas is ready to take constructive steps to make the current ceasefire in Gaza permanent, and that Israel should show the same commitment.
Speaking at a joint news conference in Ankara with his Egyptian counterpart Badr Abdelatty, Fidan emphasised that the Gaza Strip is part of Palestine and must remain so, to be treated accordingly.
The minister also referred to his meetings at the White House on Monday, saying the visit “gave Türkiye the opportunity to present its position on critical issues in Syria.”
Israel and Hamas have repeatedly accused each other of breaching the October ceasefire deal, with Israel saying Hamas was stalling over returning hostage remains and Hamas saying Israel continued to obstruct aid deliveries.
With U.S. urging, Türkiye has repeatedly voiced its desire to join task forces to monitor the implementation of the ceasefire, including an international stabilisation force for which a United Nations Security Council resolution is being sought.
However, Israel has voiced its opposition to such Turkish involvement, saying there would be no forces from Türkiye present in Gaza.
Future talks in Cairo
The ministers would also hold the inaugural meeting of the Turkey-Egypt Joint Planning Group, the source said. The meeting will convene officials to work on preparations for high-level talks to be held in Cairo next year, in line with an agreement signed last year.
Ankara has repeatedly praised Egypt for its role in taking in and facilitating humanitarian aid shipments for Gaza. It has sent thousands of tonnes of aid and offered to help Hamas find bodies of Israeli hostages as per the deal.
Earlier this month, ministers from seven Muslim countries met in Istanbul to discuss Gaza, but Egypt did not attend the meeting.
Fidan also held talks with U.S. officials on Syria and Gaza while on a visit to Washington on Monday, after which he said they had discussed possible next steps in the ceasefire deal.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
Uzbekistan has reported new fraud cases linked to employment in South Korea as investigators continue examining a wider migration corruption scheme estimated to have caused up to $90 million in losses.
When 36 nations signed up to prosecute Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, Georgia - a country partly occupied by Russia - declined to join. Tbilisi blamed strained relations with the EU. Critics blamed the government itself.
Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan are negotiating summer water allocations as rising temperatures, agricultural demand and pressure on shared rivers intensify water security concerns across Central Asia.
A new documentary by AnewZ Investigations titled 'Target Yerevan' is set to premiere in Baku soon, examining allegations surrounding former International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo, Armenian lobbying networks, and wider political influence campaigns.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment