live Sustainable reconstruction on the agenda as WUF13 comes to a close in Azerbaijan
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum nears an end, Azerbaijan's Pavilion will showcase reconstruction efforts in its liberated territor...
Türkiye aims to take part in a 'task force' overseeing the newly-agreed ceasefire in Gaza and the implementation of its articles, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday, as Ankara appeared to have emerged as a key player in both the negotiations and execution of the deal.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan joined a meeting in Paris on Thursday, to discuss the Gaza peace plan. The talks brought together the U.S.’s key European and Arab allies to shape Gaza’s post-war future.
Fidan says Türkiye is setting up a mediation team to monitor the ceasefire.
“The task force mentioned by our President (Recep Tayyip Erdogan) is related to the implementation of this approved plan. There's a provision there, specifically, regarding the facilitation role in following up on these agreed-upon matters," he said.
"A team comprised of the United States, Egypt, Türkiye, and Qatar will discuss matters with both sides, the Palestinian and the Israeli sides. This was essentially a mediation team. This mediation team will also fulfil its duties in implementing the relevant provisions of the agreement."
"There are no predefined tasks at this time. As the agreement goes into effect, problems will certainly rise. This team will be step in when the time comes to find practical solutions to these problems,” Fidan added.
A senior Turkish official separately told Reuters the 'task force' will also be established to locate the bodies of deceased hostages in Gaza whose locations are unknown.
Harshest critic of Israel
Türkiye, which participated in the ceasefire negotiations in Egypt, has been one of the harshest critics of Israel's assault on Gaza, calling it a genocide. Israel denies the accusation.
Since Israel launched its attack on Gaza two years ago, the NATO ally has been involved in a largely indirect capacity in peace efforts but took a heightened role in recent weeks.
"God willing, we as Türkiye will take part in the task force that will monitor the agreement's implementation in the field," Erdogan said in a speech in Ankara, adding that Türkiye will also contribute to the reconstruction of Gaza.
He also highlighted Türkiye's role in the process, describing events leading up to the agreement - from the Gaza meeting at the United Nations General Assembly to his discussions on the issue with U.S. President Donald Trump at the White House last month and a subsequent phone call last week.
It was not immediately clear whether Erdogan and the senior official were referring to the same task force or whether it was a reference to a "stabilisation force" per Trump's plan.
Türkiye's intelligence chief Ibrahim Kalin attended the talks in Egypt, where he conveyed Ankara's views and guidance to Hamas on how to move forward, according to a security official, who added Kalin also held separate talks with all parties except the Israeli side. Türkiye deems Hamas a resistance group.
Erdogan has said that he explained to Trump how peace can be achieved in Gaza and that the U.S. president requested Ankara's help in convincing Hamas to accept his plan.
Turkiye says it won't rest until Palestinian State set up
"I am very pleased that the Hamas-Israel talks taking place in Sharm el-Sheikh, with contributions from us as Türkiye, have resulted in a ceasefire in Gaza," Erdogan posted on X earlier on Thursday.
He thanked Trump "who demonstrated the necessary political will to encourage the Israeli government towards the ceasefire", as well as Qatar and Egypt, adding Ankara would not stop until a sovereign Palestinian state was established.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said that after the sides declare a ceasefire as a first step in Trump's plan, they would work on "heavier" issues such as ensuring security in Gaza and post-war scenarios.
In a statement, Türkiye's foreign ministry said it hoped the momentum in these talks could lead to a two-state solution, and added Ankara would monitor its strict implementation so it could "bring an end to the genocide" in Gaza.
"With the ceasefire in place, it is imperative that humanitarian aid be delivered to Gaza ... and that efforts for the reconstruction of Gaza be launched without delay," it added, saying Ankara would continue providing humanitarian aid.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
South Korea’s Samsung Electronics is facing its largest potential labour action in years, with tens of thousands of workers preparing for a prolonged strike over bonuses and profit-sharing at a time when the company is benefiting from a global artificial intelligence (AI) driven chip boom.
A 13-year-old boy was killed in northern Gaza on Thursday (21 May) after an Israeli drone strike hit the town of Beit Lahiya, according to local health officials, as residents reported a renewed increase in Israeli evacuation warnings ahead of attacks.
Azerbaijan is stepping up efforts to strengthen its position as a regional hub for investment and connectivity ahead of the second Azerbaijan International Investment Forum in Baku this September.
Iran and Pakistan discussed developments in stalled Iran-U.S. negotiations during a visit to Tehran by Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsen Raza Naqvi, amid Islamabad’s ongoing mediation efforts.
President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev held a telephone conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday (21 May), with both leaders discussing bilateral ties, regional developments and ongoing peace efforts in the South Caucasus.
Georgia’s parliament speaker has accused Britain of “blatant hypocrisy” after London quietly allowed Russian-origin oil products into the country - a move UK officials had reportedly urged Tbilisi to avoid.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment