live Trump says attack on Iran was paused, signals possible nuclear deal- Middle East conflict
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that he had paused a planned attack on Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington. He said th...
Lebanon’s cabinet will meet on Tuesday to discuss the arsenal of Hezbollah, following increased pressure from the United States for ministers to commit publicly to disarming the group, amid fears of renewed Israeli strikes if they fail to do so.
The meeting, scheduled for 3:00 p.m. (12:00 GMT) at the presidential palace, marks the first time the Lebanese cabinet will formally address the fate of Hezbollah’s weapons — a scenario that would have been unthinkable when the group was at its peak just two years ago.
U.S. pressure on Hezbollah to relinquish its arms has grown since last year’s conflict with Israel, which killed senior Hezbollah commanders, thousands of fighters, and destroyed much of its rocket arsenal.
In June, U.S. envoy Thomas Barrack presented a roadmap to Lebanese officials that would see Hezbollah fully disarmed in exchange for Israel halting strikes and withdrawing from five contested areas in southern Lebanon.
That proposal included a condition that Lebanon’s government pass a cabinet decision explicitly pledging to disarm Hezbollah.
Following several visits to Lebanon, Washington’s patience began to wear thin, and U.S. officials urged Lebanon’s ministers to make the pledge quickly so negotiations could continue.
But Lebanese officials and diplomats say that such a commitment could inflame sectarian tensions in Lebanon, where Hezbollah retains significant support within the Shi’ite Muslim community.
On Monday evening, dozens of motorcyclists waving Hezbollah flags rode through a Beirut suburb known as a party stronghold.
Ahead of Tuesday’s session, Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, a key Hezbollah ally, has been in talks with President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam to agree on a compromise that would satisfy U.S. demands while avoiding internal fallout, two Lebanese officials said.
Berri’s proposed wording would commit Lebanon to forming a national defence strategy and upholding a ceasefire with Israel, but stop short of an explicit pledge to disarm Hezbollah, the officials said.
Other ministers, however, plan to push for a more direct statement.
"There's frankly no need to kick the can down the road and postpone a decision. We have to put Lebanon's interest first and take a decision today," said Kamal Shehadi, a minister aligned with the anti-Hezbollah Lebanese Forces party.
Lebanese officials and foreign envoys say there is growing concern that failure to issue a clear decision could prompt Israel to escalate its operations, including potential strikes on Beirut.
A U.S.-brokered ceasefire in November ended open hostilities between Hezbollah and Israel, though Israel has continued targeted strikes on what it says are Hezbollah arms depots and fighters, mainly in southern Lebanon.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United Nations and Türkiye, while flotilla organisers said several ships continued sailing toward Gaza despite the operation.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
Uzbekistan has reported new fraud cases linked to employment in South Korea as investigators continue examining a wider migration corruption scheme estimated to have caused up to $90 million in losses.
When 36 nations signed up to prosecute Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, Georgia - a country partly occupied by Russia - declined to join. Tbilisi blamed strained relations with the EU. Critics blamed the government itself.
Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan are negotiating summer water allocations as rising temperatures, agricultural demand and pressure on shared rivers intensify water security concerns across Central Asia.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment