Man with loaded shotgun and tactical gear arrested near U.S. Capitol, police say
An unidentified man was taken into custody on Tuesday (17 February) after running towards the U.S. Capitol carrying a loaded shotgun and wearing tacti...
Russian President Vladimir Putin reiterated Moscow’s readiness to continue peace negotiations with Ukraine during a telephone conversation with U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday, Kremlin aide Yury Ushakov confirmed.
According to Ushakov, the call lasted approximately one hour. Putin emphasised the importance of addressing the root causes of the conflict in Ukraine and said that Russia would not back down from its objectives in the ongoing war.
The two leaders also discussed the situation in Iran and the broader Middle East region. Russia underlined the necessity of resolving disputes exclusively through political and diplomatic means.
Ushakov said that both sides agreed to maintain dialogue through their foreign ministries, defence departments, and presidential aides. The situation in Syria was also a topic of discussion.
Putin congratulated Trump on the occasion of the U.S. Independence Day on 4 July. The two leaders confirmed mutual interest in advancing promising economic projects, particularly in the fields of energy and space exploration.
The Russian side also highlighted its important role in the formation of American statehood during the call.
Ushakov noted that Trump raised the need for a swift end to military operations in Ukraine and updated Putin on his key spending bill. Putin wished Trump success with the planned reforms.
This marked the sixth phone call between the two presidents since Trump returned to The White House in January.
So far, two rounds of direct peace talks between Russia and Ukraine have taken place in Istanbul, with preparations for a third round underway.
U.S. officials, including Trump, have yet to comment on the call.
Cuba’s fuel crisis has turned into a waste crisis, with rubbish piling up on most street corners in Havana as many collection trucks lack enough petrol to operate.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards navy held military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday (16 February), state-linked media reported. The drill took place a day before renewed nuclear negotiations between Tehran and Washington in Geneva.
The 2026 Munich Security Conference (MSC) unfolded over three intense days in Munich, confronting a defining question of our era: has the post-Second World War international order collapsed - and if so, what will replace it?
Britain and Germany’s highest ranking military chiefs have made an unprecedented joint appeal to the public to accept the “moral” case for rearmament and prepare for the threat of war with Russia.
Canadian Prime Minister, Mark Carney, announced on 16 February that the Honourable Janice Charette has been appointed as the next Chief Trade Negotiator to the United States. She's been tasked with overseeing the upcoming review of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has warned that clearing the vast of rubble in Gaza could take up to seven years at the current pace, as the overwhelming majority of residents continue to live in what it describes as extremely dangerous conditions.
More than 80 countries and organisations, including the UN Arab Group representing 22 Arab states and members of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), have strongly condemned the Israeli government’s decision to launch a unilateral “land registration process” in the occupied West Bank.
Kyrgyzstan faces a critical political turning point as elite splits and public protests highlight deep divisions in Bishkek. Analysts warn that President Japarov’s dismissal of a top ally could shift the balance of power and threaten Kyrgyzstan’s political stability.
Tehran’s right to develop and use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes is “inherent, inalienable, and non‑negotiable,” Iranian Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi, told the high-level segment of the United Nations Conference on Disarmament in Geneva on Tuesday (17 February).
Georgia’s ruling party, Georgian Dream, is moving to criminalise what it calls “extremism against the constitutional order”, introducing a new article to the Criminal Code that could lead to prison sentences of up to three years.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment