U.S. envoy Kushner leads Cairo talks with Hamas and mediators on Gaza plan as Israel continues strikes
U.S. President Donald Trump’s push to end the war in Gaza returned to the diplomatic arena on Sunday (16 August), as his envoys met Egyptian,...
Intense clashes have erupted in Syria's coastal region between government forces and fighters loyal to deposed President Bashar al-Assad. The violence, described as the worst since Assad's fall in December, has resulted in over 70 deaths, prompting curfews in key cities.
Syria's coastal region has witnessed intense clashes between the newly established government forces and fighters loyal to deposed President Bashar al-Assad. This marks the worst violence since the fall of Assad in December, when rebels installed an Islamist transitional government.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that over 70 people have been killed in the fighting, including government soldiers, former regime gunmen, and civilians. The cities of Latakia and Tartous have been placed under curfew as violence continues. BBC Verify confirmed the location of videos showing gunmen firing at buildings and dragging bodies through the streets in Latakia.
The coastal region, home to the Alawite minority and Assad's stronghold, has become a focal point of resistance. Former regime forces have ambushed military checkpoints and government forces, particularly in Latakia and Jableh. Witnesses have described the violence as indiscriminate, with attacks affecting both combatants and civilians.
Syria's new interim government, led by President Ahmed al-Sharaa, is facing significant security challenges, especially in the coastal areas and southern Syria. Tensions remain high, with reports of continued violence against the Alawite community, as well as clashes with Druze forces in the south.
As the violence escalates, the international community continues to monitor the situation, with Syria's new government committing to the dismantling of chemical weapons stockpiles previously produced under Assad’s regime.
Wildfires across England and Wales have reached their highest level on record, according to the National Fire Chiefs Council, as firefighters struggle to contain outbreaks following a spell of extreme heat.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
At least 47 people have been killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck off eastern Indonesia early on Saturday, triggering small tsunami waves and dozens of aftershocks, officials say.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s push to end the war in Gaza returned to the diplomatic arena on Sunday (16 August), as his envoys met Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo while Israeli strikes continued across the strip.
At least 11 people, including three children and two women, were killed in Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon on Saturday, according to Lebanese authorities, in one of the deadliest escalations since a U.S.-mediated framework was agreed between Lebanon and Israel.
As the countries of the Turkic world seek deeper economic integration, the Turkic Investment Fund (TIF) is positioning itself as a key financial vehicle for turning political cooperation into tangible development projects.
For fishermen along Pakistan’s southwestern coast, the consequences of the U.S.-Iran conflict are being felt far from the battlefield.
Afghanistan’s Foreign Ministry has expressed regret over the death of a 21-year-old pregnant woman killed by gunfire across the border in Tajikistan’s Darvoz district. Dushanbe has issued a formal protest to Kabul over the incident, which it said involved a violation of its airspace.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment