live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Secretary of Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Larijani have stressed that Tehran is entitled to the peaceful applications of its nuclear program.
This comes as Iran is on the agenda of Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in Vienna next week.
During a visit to the medical and technological achievements of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) on Monday, Araghchi said that West has no alternative but to agree with Iran’s civilian nuclear program.
“Western countries have no choice but to accept Iran as a scientific hub in the field of peaceful nuclear activity.
Contrary to the West's baseless claims, their main problem is not nuclear weapons, rather Iran's scientific development and technological independence,” he said.
According to the Foreign Ministry’s website, he added that West’s main goal is to deprive Iran of these achievements and to “monopolise” everything for themselves.
“We at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stand with AEOI and have always defended the rights of this organization, which belongs to the Iranian people.”
In the run-off to the IAEA board’s quarterly meeting, SNSC Secretary Larijani said that Tehran will not surrender to the West neither in its civilian nuclear program nor the ballistic missiles capability even if its resilience leads to a confrontation.
“What does it have to do with the West that it comments on the range of Iranian missiles?” he asked speaking at the closing ceremony of a conference in Tehran on Monday.
“Today it has become clear that the nuclear issue was nothing more than an excuse to fight the Iranian people.
Iran will not surrender to empty talk. Even if it costs confrontation,” added the top security official who is a close aide to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei.
Also, on sidelines of the conference, he told reporters that Iran has not sent any message to the United States for resumption of nuclear talks because Tehran’s pervious messages sent to Washington during the UN General Assembly in New York received no response.
Foreign Minister Araghchi said on Sunday there was not a possibility of renewed nuclear talks with the US for now.
“There is currently no possibility of resuming negotiations with the United State. Whenever the Americans are ready for equal and beneficial negotiations for both sides, negotiations can be possible," the Government Information Centre quoted him as saying.
Tehran cut the mediated nuclear negotiations with Washington and suspended its relations with the UN nuclear watchdog because of the Israel-US airstrikes on Iran’s civilian nuclear sites in June citing the IAEA’s failure to condemn the attacks on the nuclear facilities under UN safeguards.
Foreign Ministry Spokesman Esmaeil Baghai said at a weekly press conference on Monday that IAEA inspectors visited several Iranian sites last week after receiving the clearance from the Supreme National Security Council.
“As long as we are a party to the NPT and committed to the Safeguards Agreement, we are aware of our obligations. Last week, IAEA inspectors visited and inspected several Iranian nuclear facilities, including the Tehran Research Reactor,” he said.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
Azerbaijan’s strategic rise is turning it from a transit state into a regional rule-setter, with the Middle Corridor giving Baku growing influence far beyond its size, analyst Ahmad Alili says.
Kyrgyzstan is seeking to boost fuel imports from China as it looks to diversify supplies and reduce the risks of its heavy reliance on Russia.
At least 42 children were injured in an explosion at an educational centre in western Kabul on Monday, sparking international calls for a full investigation.
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure on supply chains and the wider economy.
Azerbaijan has summoned Russia’s ambassador in Baku over recent Russian media comments it described as insulting, provocative and threatening towards the country, its people and leadership.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment