Israeli military says local tactical pause will not apply to Gaza City

Palestinians gather near a cemetery in Gaza City, 28 August, 2025.
Reuters

The Israeli military announced on Friday that Gaza City will no longer be covered by its limited daily humanitarian pause, citing the area as a "dangerous combat zone."

The move follows approval from Israel’s security cabinet to expand operations and take control of Gaza City, intensifying both domestic and international criticism.

Israel had previously introduced a 10-hour daily halt in parts of Gaza to allow aid delivery, with Jordan and the United Arab Emirates airdropping supplies.

The Israeli military said on Friday that it "will continue to support humanitarian efforts alongside ongoing maneuvering and offensive operations against terrorist organisations in the Gaza Strip in order to protect the state of Israel".

Indirect ceasefire talks in Doha between Israel and Hamas have stalled, leaving no breakthrough in sight.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has reiterated that the war will not end until Hamas is fully disarmed.

Tags