Trump says Iran not ready to make the 'right deal'
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over th...
U.S. citizen Dennis Coyle has been released after more than a year in detention in Afghanistan, with the United Arab Emirates facilitating his transfer. U.S. officials say he is now on his way home following diplomatic efforts involving multiple countries.
The Taliban’s foreign ministry said Coyle was freed on Tuesday following meetings involving former U.S. envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, a family member and the UAE ambassador to Kabul with Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi.
According to the ministry, Coyle’s family sent a letter to Taliban supreme leader Hibatullah Akhundzada requesting clemency. The Supreme Court later deemed his detention sufficient and approved his release.
Muttaqi said the decision followed judicial review, stating that “the Islamic Emirate does not detain foreign nationals for political purposes; individuals are held only due to legal violations and are released following due judicial procedures.”
He also thanked regional partners, saying the United Arab Emirates played a “constructive role” and acknowledged Qatar’s support in facilitating communication with the detainee’s family.
Khalilzad described the move as “commendable” and stressed the importance of continued dialogue, while UAE Ambassador Saif Al Ketbi said such humanitarian efforts “serve the interests of all parties.”
The United Arab Emirates Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed it hosted the transfer. The ministry said it “hosted the process of the release of Dennis Coyle … and his handover to the United States”, adding the operation took place in the presence of representatives from both sides.
The ministry also said it appreciated “the confidence placed in the UAE and for selecting it as the venue for the release operation.”
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed the development, saying: “Today, after more than a year of captivity in Afghanistan, Dennis Coyle is on his way home.”
He thanked the UAE and Qatar for their roles, but added: “While this is a positive step … more work needs to be done. We are still seeking the immediate return of Mahmood Habibi, Paul Overby, and all other unjustly detained Americans.”
U.S. Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs Adam Boehler said on social media that “American hostage Dennis Coyle is in the air right now, headed from Afghanistan to America … No trades. No money. Hostage diplomacy is dead.”
Khalilzad also said the release could help resolve other cases, noting that Qatar and the UAE provided logistical assistance and facilitated visits during negotiations.
Coyle, 64, had been detained in Kabul in January 2025. His release comes days after the United States formally designated Afghan authorities as being involved in the wrongful detention of U.S. nationals, citing cases including Mahmood Habibi and Paul Overby.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has issued his strongest warning yet over Türkiye's growing military role in Syria, saying Israel will not accept Turkish forces expanding their presence further south.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Pakistan says it has added 12 sites to its UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List, taking the total from 25 to 37 and widening the country's roster of potential future nominations.
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speeding up cross-border transport and cutting bureaucracy.
Kazakhstan accounts for 45% of Central Asia’s road and rail infrastructure investment, with around $32.3 billion committed as the region expands key transport links across Eurasia.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Google has committed $500,000 to a new digital safety programme in Pakistan, as debate grows over how to protect children from online risks and whether access to social media should be restricted.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment