Georgia and Azerbaijan sign landmark energy and transport agreements in Baku
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partne...
A Su-30SM fighter jet crashed during a scheduled training flight in Kazakhstan’s Karaganda region on 25 February, with both pilots ejecting safely, the defence ministry said.
Authorities said in a statement, the crew “ejected promptly” and that the pilots “are alive and well, and are under medical observation.”
It reported that the crash site had been sealed off and that “there is no threat to the public or infrastructure.”
Officials said that a special commission of the Ministry of Defence has been formed to investigate the incident, headed by the chief of the Flight Safety Department, including aviation service specialists.
The jet went down about 10 kilometres from Sary-Arka Airport in the Bukhar-Zhyrau district.
According to the statement, “a legal assessment will be made and a procedural decision will be taken” once the investigation is completed.
The Su-30SM is a twin-engine, two-seat multirole fighter aircraft developed by the Sukhoi Design Bureau and manufactured in Russia.
It is an advanced variant of the Su-30 family and is used for a wide range of missions, including air-to-air combat, ground attack and reconnaissance, and can carry a mix of guided missiles, bombs and a 30 mm cannon.
The aircraft is highly manoeuvrable thanks to thrust-vectoring engines and modern avionics, and is operated by the air forces of Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus and others.
A comparable event recorded on 16 April 2021, when another Su-30SM went down during its landing approach at the Balkhash aviation centre.
The pilots survived that incident too, and investigators pointed to a probable bird strike as the cause.
Another case was recorded in 2020, when a Su-30M2 was struck by a Su-35S during air combat training, forcing its crew to eject.
Later in 2022, another Su-30SM crashed into a residential building in Irkutsk during a test flight, killing both pilots.
A further incident took place in 2023, when a Su-30 crashed during a training flight in the Kaliningrad region, Russia, killing two airmen.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partnership set to shape the South Caucasus corridor for decades to come.
Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has called for closer security coordination between Central Asia and China, warning that expanding trade and infrastructure links are exposing the region to increasingly sophisticated cross-border threats.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United Nations and Türkiye, while flotilla organisers said several ships continued sailing toward Gaza despite the operation.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment