Uzbekistan and Georgia launch digital permits to speed up freight
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speed...
Tech company Xiaomi says it will consider selling its electric vehicles (EV) outside China starting in 2027, CEO Lei Jun said, citing strong local demand for its SU7 sedan and newly launched YU7 SUV.
Speaking during a livestream on Wednesday, Lei Jun said the company must prioritise domestic orders before looking abroad.
“We’ll strive to ramp up capacity,” he added, without detailing plans to address long waiting times.
Xiaomi’s SU7 electric sedan has outsold Tesla’s Model 3 in China on a monthly basis since December, while the YU7 SUV attracted strong interest, receiving a surge of orders within 18 hours of its launch on 27 June. Customers have since been told they may wait more than a year for delivery, prompting complaints on social media.
The firm had previously identified 2027 as a potential starting point for international EV shipments but had not confirmed its intention until now.
Xiaomi, known primarily for smartphones, is among a growing number of Chinese tech companies entering the electric vehicle market. The company’s early sales success reflects growing domestic appetite for homegrown EV brands and pressure on global rivals like Tesla.
Shares in Xiaomi have surged to a record high following the YU7’s debut. However, concerns over production capacity and fulfilment timelines remain, as the company works to establish itself as a serious automotive contender.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Pakistan says it has added 12 sites to its UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List, taking the total from 25 to 37 and widening the country's roster of potential future nominations.
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speeding up cross-border transport and cutting bureaucracy.
Kazakhstan accounts for 45% of Central Asia’s road and rail infrastructure investment, with around $32.3 billion committed as the region expands key transport links across Eurasia.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Google has committed $500,000 to a new digital safety programme in Pakistan, as debate grows over how to protect children from online risks and whether access to social media should be restricted.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment