Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
The UN Security Council has failed to back a Bahraini resolution aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz, after China and Russia used their vetoes on Tuesday (7 April). The draft resolution called for coordinated "defensive measures" to ensure freedom of navigation in the strait.
The resolution received 11 votes in favour. Colombia and Pakistan abstained.
Speaking after the vote, Bahrain's Foreign Minister Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani expressed his "regret" to the Council for failing to adopt the draft resolution.
"The Council failed to shoulder its responsibility in relation to an illegal conduct that requires decisive action with no delay," he said.
Diplomats previously said the draft resolution had faced resistance from China, Russia and others, and had been toned down from its original form.
Oil prices have surged since the U.S. and Israel struck Iran in late February, triggering a conflict that has lasted more than a month and largely disrupted traffic through the vital shipping route.
Bahrain, which currently holds the rotating presidency of the council, finalised a draft on Thursday (2 April) authorising “all defensive means necessary” to protect commercial shipping.
Foreign Minister Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani had told the council a vote would take place on Friday, “God willing,” adding that Bahrain hoped for a “unified position from this esteemed council," but the vote was postponed.
Backed by Gulf Arab states and the United States, Bahrain had earlier removed an explicit reference to binding enforcement in an effort to overcome objections, particularly from China and Russia.
China has continuously opposed any authorisation of force to reopen the strait. Speaking on Thursday, China’s U.N. envoy Fu Cong said such a move would “legitimise the unlawful and indiscriminate use of force, which would inevitably lead to further escalation of the situation and serious consequences.”
A resolution requires at least nine votes in favour and no vetoes from the five permanent members: Britain, China, France, Russia and the U.S
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
U.S. President Donald Trump has vowed to hit Iran hard economically, after Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said that Washington would impose measures on Tehran that have "never been seen" as soon as next week.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment