live Iran threatens ‘fully offensive’ posture as oil prices surge above $91 a barrel
Iran has warned it will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture if efforts to reach a permanent peace deal with the U.S. fail, se...
Sudan has reopened its National Museum in Khartoum, marking an important milestone in the country's efforts to restore its cultural heritage after years of conflict.
The museum, home to thousands of ancient Nubian and Sudanese artefacts, had remained closed after suffering extensive damage during the occupation of the capital by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). Khartoum was retaken by the Sudanese Armed Forces in March 2025, paving the way for restoration work at the museum.
Officials say the reopening represents both a cultural and symbolic step towards national recovery.
According to Sudanese authorities, up to 90% of the museum's collection was either looted or damaged during the conflict.
Government officials say a coordinated recovery operation involving security forces, the National Corporation for Antiquities and Museums, and the Ministry of Information has already led to the retrieval of a significant number of artefacts.
Federal Minister of Information Khalid Alisir said Sudan's cultural heritage would not be erased despite attempts to destroy the country's identity during the war.
He said recent recovery efforts had succeeded in returning many valuable artefacts despite the exceptional challenges posed by the conflict.
Finance Minister Jibreel Ibrahim said those responsible for looting the museum understood the historical significance of the artefacts they had taken.
He described the thefts as an attempt to erase Sudan's history and national identity but said authorities had already recovered a number of priceless objects and would continue working to retrieve those still missing.
Officials acknowledge, however, that many artefacts are believed to have been smuggled abroad, meaning international cooperation will be essential to locating and returning them.
Authorities estimate that Sudan's cultural sector has suffered at least $110 million in damage since the conflict began.
The National Museum was not the only institution affected. Museums in Nyala, Al-Geneina, El Fasher and Wad Madani were also looted or destroyed during the fighting, highlighting the widespread impact of the war on the country's cultural heritage.
For many Sudanese, the reopening of the National Museum is about more than restoring a building. It represents an effort to preserve the country's shared history and safeguard its cultural identity for future generations.
While officials warn that recovering every stolen artefact could take years, they say the museum's reopening signals the beginning of a broader campaign to rebuild and protect Sudan's historical legacy.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
American actress Hayden Panettiere, known for her roles in TV shows such as Nashville and Heroes, has died at the age of 36, ABC News reported on Sunday, citing her representative.
Four artworks by 15th-century painter Antonello da Messina have been stolen overnight from the Museo Regionale di Messina, Italy's culture minister said on Sunday, expressing confidence in the police inquiry.
Cristiano Ronaldo has given one of his clearest indications yet that his playing career is nearing its end, saying the 2026-27 season will “probably” be his last in professional football.
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has changed Eurovision Song Contest rules to allow a winning country to be blocked from hosting if security risks, armed conflict or geopolitical tensions make it unsafe to stage the event.
Each summer, Gabala becomes a gathering point for artists, musicians and audiences from across Azerbaijan and beyond.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment