AnewZ speaks to UK Ambassador to Azerbaijan about strategic partnership
The UK and Azerbaijan are working to finalise a strategic partnership framework covering political, economic and defence cooperation, the new Briti...
TikTok has reached a confidential settlement in a landmark lawsuit over youth mental health, leaving Meta and YouTube to face a jury in California as the first major trial of its kind gets underway.
The agreement was announced by one of the plaintiff’s lawyers as jury selection opened in Los Angeles, removing TikTok from what had been expected to be a multi-company test of claims that social media design harms young users.
Terms of the settlement were not disclosed. Snap, also named in the original suit, reached its own settlement on 20 January.
The case centres on a 19-year-old Californian identified as K.G.M., who says she became addicted to the companies’ platforms at a young age because of their attention-driven design.
She blames years of depression and suicidal thoughts on the apps and is seeking to hold the companies that created them responsible.
Her lawsuit is one of three bellwether cases selected from hundreds of related filings across the United States.
With TikTok and Snap no longer part of the proceedings, the first trial will focus on Meta and YouTube.
Both continue to face allegations that their products contribute to a wider youth mental health crisis, a claim they reject.
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg is expected to testify.
Legal teams say the outcome of the case will shape how the remaining lawsuits are handled and could signal whether courts are prepared to challenge the long-standing legal protections that Big Tech companies have relied on for decades.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
An artificial intelligence agent running an experimental store in San Francisco has recommended dismissing a human employee after the worker repeatedly arrived late for shifts.
Nvidia is teaming up with some of the biggest names in global finance in a move that underscores how artificial intelligence is rapidly becoming one of the world's most sought-after investment themes.
Parts of Europe and the Arctic will briefly fall into darkness on Wednesday, 12 August, as the Moon passes between Earth and the Sun in a total solar eclipse.
Meta said one of its AI models hacked another company's systems during cybersecurity testing, intensifying concerns about how developers can contain increasingly capable AI systems following similar incidents involving Anthropic and OpenAI.
Scientists say the accidental crash of a discarded SpaceX rocket stage into the moon has provided valuable data on impact cratering while posing no threat to Earth or lunar hardware.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment