Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Russian President Vladimir Putin announced Thursday that Russian forces are actively establishing a “security buffer zone” along the Russia–Ukraine border, a move that has drawn immediate criticism from Kyiv and international observers as a further escalation in the ongoing conflict.
“I have already said that a decision was made to create the necessary security buffer zone along the border. Our armed forces are currently solving this problem,” Putin said during a government meeting in Moscow. He added that Ukrainian firing positions are being actively suppressed as part of the effort.
Putin’s remarks follow earlier indications from March when he visited Russia’s Kursk region, an area that had previously seen Ukrainian advances. During that visit, Putin discussed potential restoration work and was reportedly asked by local officials to consider a buffer zone extending into Ukraine’s Sumy region.
Putin said the plan aims to restore destroyed infrastructure and allow civilians to safely return to their homes in areas near the frontlines. He is expected to host a dedicated meeting on rebuilding and stabilization efforts in border areas, according to Russian state media.
Ukrainian and International Response
The announcement was swiftly condemned by Ukraine. Foreign ministry spokesperson Heorhii Tykhyi labeled the move as “aggressive”, saying it demonstrates that “Russia is the obstacle to peace efforts now.” Kyiv has consistently rejected any unilateral attempts by Moscow to annex or alter its internationally recognized borders.
The development comes just ahead of a major prisoner exchange between Ukraine and Russia, expected on Friday, following last week’s landmark direct talks in Turkey — the first formal negotiations between the two sides in three years. The agreement includes the exchange of 1,000 prisoners from each side.
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov confirmed Thursday that Russia has received Ukraine’s proposed list for the exchange. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on X that his government is verifying “the details for each individual included on the lists submitted by the Russian side.”
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment