Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
After a two-hour call between US president Donald Trump and Russian president Vladimir Putin, both sides now say they’re ready to begin immediate ceasefire negotiations. It’s the clearest sign in months that diplomacy could be making a comeback.
Trump said the call went “very well” and described the tone as “excellent.” Russia also confirmed that contact between negotiators has restarted and a possible memorandum for a future peace agreement is being discussed.
But while the mood may be shifting, the details are still unclear. There’s no outline yet of what either side is willing to give up, or how far apart they are on key issues like territory and long-term security.
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy says he asked Trump not to make any decisions “without us” and is now proposing a high-level meeting between Ukraine, Russia, the US, EU and UK. He says it could be hosted in Turkey, the Vatican or Switzerland. A major prisoner swap between Russia and Ukraine could also be announced within days.
After the Putin call, Trump spoke with leaders of France, Germany, Italy, Finland and the European Commission — a signal he’s trying to line up support behind the scenes.
Putin, for his part, said the conversation was “frank and informative” and that Russia remains open to a peaceful solution. But he also repeated that the “root causes” of the war need to be addressed — a phrase often used by Moscow to push its demands on NATO and Ukraine’s international ties.
Trump also mentioned the Vatican as a possible location for talks, following vice president JD Vance’s visit to Pope Leo XIV earlier in the day.
Skeptics, however, warn that both sides may be using this moment to buy time or shift blame. Putin skipped a peace invitation in Istanbul just last week, and past negotiations have collapsed over major disagreements.
For now, there’s momentum. But whether it leads to a lasting peace — or just more posturing — is still uncertain.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment