live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Two North Korean fishermen picked up by South Korean patrols in March remain stranded in the South as Pyongyang refuses to respond to requests for their return.
Their case has now become the longest unresolved repatriation of reluctant North Korean defectors. In previous similar incidents, North Koreans who asked to return were usually sent back quickly. This time, North Korea has cut all communication, including hotline calls from the South.
Experts say Pyongyang’s silence reflects a broader political message. The North has expressed strong opposition to Seoul’s recent security alignment with the US and Japan, particularly under now-impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol. Last year, North Korea amended its constitution to formally declare South Korea a hostile state. Roads and rail lines across the border have been destroyed, and the frontier is sealed with anti-tank barriers.
Some analysts believe the two men may be trying to protect their families. North Korea is known to punish relatives of defectors, and reports suggest those crackdowns have worsened. The men’s continued insistence on returning could be a way to avoid retaliation against loved ones still inside the country.
With no response from Pyongyang and no other channel of contact, the two fishermen remain in limbo, waiting for a decision that may not come any time soon.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment