Trump: Airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be closed
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety", but gave...
President Donald Trump’s plan to impose a 100% tariff on foreign-made films has raised concerns in Dubrovnik about its potential effect on international productions and Game of Thrones-related tourism.
The Croatian city of Dubrovnik, internationally recognised as the filming location for King’s Landing in the Game of Thrones television series, is weighing the possible impact of President Donald Trump’s proposed 100% tariff on all films produced outside the United States.
The announcement, made earlier this month, has created uncertainty within the global entertainment sector and among local industries in cities like Dubrovnik that regularly serve as international filming destinations.
“There have been huge disruptions because of the tariffs that Trump plans to introduce,” said Croatian film producer Igor Aleksandar Nola, noting that parts of the financing for film projects from banks and investment funds have been placed on hold amid ongoing uncertainty.
Dubrovnik has experienced a tourism surge since its appearance in Game of Thrones, which brought increased international visibility and economic benefits. Tourist guide Ivan Vukovic said approximately 1,000 visitors join Game of Thrones-themed tours daily, boosting employment opportunities for guides and locals involved in off-season filming.
“The film and Game of Thrones have changed Dubrovnik for sure,” Vukovic added, highlighting the local economic uplift driven by film-related tourism and merchandise.
Despite the lack of detail on the timing or scope of the proposed tariffs, participants at the Cannes Film Festival have adopted a cautious “business as usual” approach while awaiting further clarification.
Dubrovnik’s mayor, Mate Frankovic, expressed optimism that the city’s role in major international productions would remain secure. “I honestly cannot imagine a single serious U.S. film and large production without including a major European city,” he said, downplaying the long-term impact on the city’s film and tourism sectors.
As the industry awaits further information from Washington, producers, officials and local businesses in Dubrovnik remain watchful, aware that any shift in global filming patterns could have notable economic consequences for the region.
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
At least 153 people have been killed in Sri Lanka after landslides and flooding caused by Cyclone Ditwah, officials said on Saturday, with 191 others missing and more than half a million affected nationwide.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety", but gave no further details as Washington ramps up pressure on President Nicolas Maduro's government.
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at least 128 people dead.
The death toll from floods and landslides following cyclonic rains in the Indonesian island of Sumatra has risen to 303, the head of the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Saturday, up from a previous figure of 174.
Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive fire at a high-rise apartment complex, a toll that is likely to rise with 150 still missing days after the disaster.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment