Moscow fuel queues add to pressure on Russia’s rouble
Fuel restrictions have returned to parts of Moscow and the surrounding region, adding another strain to Russia&...
At least 13 civilians have been killed and over 50 injured in Pakistani Kashmir within 12 hours, as military strikes and cross-border shelling intensify between India and Pakistan following Islamabad's launch of Operation Bunyan-un-Marsoos.
A deadly escalation between India and Pakistan has left at least 13 civilians dead and more than 50 injured in Pakistani-administered Kashmir as of Saturday noon, the region's disaster management authority confirmed. The casualties come amid a wave of military strikes exchanged by the nuclear-armed neighbors over the past several days.
The Pakistani military launched a large-scale retaliatory offensive early Saturday, dubbed Operation Bunyan-un-Marsoos or "Iron Wall," targeting Indian military installations. Islamabad says the strikes were in direct response to Operation Sindoor, an Indian military campaign on May 6 that killed 33 people and injured 62 in Pakistan.
Pakistan claims it targeted key Indian military facilities, including a missile storage site in the Beas region, and used Al-Fatah missiles named in honor of Pakistani children killed in earlier Indian strikes. State media also reported that Pakistani drones were seen operating over India’s capital, New Delhi.
The situation further deteriorated after Indian missiles reportedly struck multiple Pakistan Air Force bases, including the Noor Khan Airbase near Islamabad, according to Pakistan Army spokesperson Lieutenant General Ahmad Sharif Chaudhry.
India, for its part, has justified its actions as a response to a deadly attack last month on Hindu pilgrims in Indian-administered Kashmir, blaming Islamabad for supporting the perpetrators—an accusation Pakistan strongly denies.
Cross-border hostilities, including artillery fire, drone incursions, and missile exchanges, have intensified since Wednesday. A total of 48 deaths have been reported so far, though independent verification remains difficult amid the active conflict.
With tensions rapidly escalating and civilian casualties mounting, international observers are voicing concerns over the possibility of a broader regional war between the two nuclear states.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment