Ukraine and allies boycott Paralympics opening over Russia and Belarus athletes
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 Mar...
Pakistan has reported that three of its air bases were targeted by Indian missiles, as tensions between the two nuclear-armed countries escalate amid ongoing military operations.
On 10 May 2025, Pakistan announced that three of its air bases—PAF Base Nur Khan near Islamabad, and the Murid and Rafiqui airbases—were targeted by missile strikes from India. According to Pakistan’s military, most of the missiles were intercepted, but the attacks were described as “provocations of the highest order”.
These strikes form part of a broader conflict that escalated following India’s launch of Operation Sindoor on 7 May. The Indian operation targeted nine locations in Pakistan and Pakistan-administered Kashmir, which New Delhi said were being used by militant groups responsible for a fatal attack on Hindu tourists in Pahalgam on 22 April. Islamabad, however, claimed that the strikes resulted in civilian casualties and damaged non-military infrastructure, including mosques.
In response, Pakistan initiated Operation Bunyan al-Marsus on 10 May, conducting retaliatory strikes across several Indian cities, including New Delhi. Analysts have noted this development as the first instance of drone warfare between two nuclear-armed states.
Pakistan's Defence Minister, Khawaja Asif, clarified that no meeting of the National Command Authority (NCA) had been scheduled following the military operation on Saturday. "No meeting has happened of the National Command Authority, nor is any such meeting scheduled," he told ARY TV, contradicting earlier reports stating that the Prime Minister had called for an NCA meeting.
The conflict has prompted concerns from the international community. The Group of Seven (G7) nations called on both India and Pakistan to begin direct dialogue and reduce tensions. The United States has offered to facilitate peace talks. Nevertheless, military activity has continued, resulting in daily exchanges of fire and rising casualties on both sides.
The ongoing hostilities have drawn widespread attention amid fears that the confrontation between India and Pakistan could escalate further.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
Aghdam’s Qarabag FK experienced a 6–1 defeat to England’s Newcastle United in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie in Azerbaijan's capital Baku Wednesday evening (18 February).
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin on Wednesday, telling him that new restrictions imposed on the communist-run island were unacceptable.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
The United States and international partners have announced billions of dollars in pledges to rebuild Gaza but many Palestinians remain sceptical about whether the funds will translate into tangible improvements for daily life.
The U.S. Supreme Court has struck down President Trump's sweeping tariffs on Friday (20 February), which he imposed under a law intended for national emergencies.
The former Prince Andrew’s brief arrest on Thursday (19 February) has highlighted the challenges of prosecuting alleged misconduct in public office, with potential implications for the British monarchy’s public role, according to political analyst Nuno Wahnon Martins.
Spain’s Constitutional Court has rejected an appeal by the father of a 25‑year‑old woman who opposed her right to euthanasia, clearing the way for the procedure to go ahead, the court said on Friday (20 February).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment