live Iran threatens ‘fully offensive’ posture as oil prices surge above $91 a barrel
Iran has warned it will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture if efforts to reach a permanent peace deal with the U.S. fail, se...
India has proposed a steep reduction in average tariffs on U.S. goods - from nearly 13% to under 4% - in a strategic move to secure exemption from current and future tariff hikes under President Donald Trump, according to Indian officials familiar with the talks.
India is prepared to significantly narrow its tariff gap with the United States, offering to reduce the average tariff differential from nearly 13% to less than 4%, sources revealed. The proposal aims to secure relief from President Donald Trump’s current and planned tariff increases as both nations accelerate efforts to finalize a trade agreement.
This potential 9-percentage point cut would mark one of India’s most sweeping reforms to lower trade barriers and comes amid Trump's global push for more reciprocal trade terms. The United States is India’s top trading partner, with bilateral trade totaling around $129 billion in 2024. India currently holds a $45.7 billion surplus in the trade relationship.
Trump recently secured what he called a “breakthrough deal” with the UK, keeping a 10% base U.S. tariff on British imports while reducing UK tariffs on American goods - an approach that may shape upcoming deals with other partners, including India.
India is now among the top candidates - along with Japan - to conclude a trade agreement during the Trump administration’s 90-day pause on broader reciprocal tariffs. As part of its current offer, New Delhi has proposed reducing duties to zero on 60% of tariff lines and providing preferential access on 90% of goods imported from the U.S., an official said.
Details of India’s comprehensive tariff offer, and what it expects in return from Washington, had not been made public until now. A delegation of Indian trade officials is expected to travel to the U.S. later this month to continue talks, with a possible visit by Trade Minister Piyush Goyal under consideration.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
Taiwan is preparing to spend more money on its military than ever before, with President Lai Ching-te announcing plans for a record defence budget of $31.4 billion for 2027, taking military spending above three per cent of GDP for the first time.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
Central Asia has become a major focus for Eurasian transport investment, with $71.7 billion committed to 114 projects, according to the Eurasian Development Bank’s 2026 Transport Observatory.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment