China finds potentially easier-to-mine rare earth deposits in northeastern provinces
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove che...
U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday that an announcement related to the Gaza Strip is likely within the next 24 hours, signaling potential developments in the U.S. approach to the worsening humanitarian crisis in the besieged enclave.
“We're going to see what's happening. A lot of talk going on about Gaza right now. You know that, right?” Trump told reporters. “So, you'll be knowing probably in the next 24 hours.”
The remarks come just a day after Trump teased a “very big announcement,” which he described as “very positive” but did not link specifically to Gaza. It remains unclear whether both statements refer to the same issue.
Sources suggest the announcement may relate to a U.S.–Israeli aid delivery proposal for Gaza, which is expected to be outlined in a briefing to the UN Security Council by Trump’s special Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff. The proposal involves the use of private American security contractors to deliver aid boxes directly to individuals inside Gaza.
The plan was recently approved by Israel’s Security Cabinet, but has been rejected by the United Nations and numerous international aid groups, which argue it violates established humanitarian principles and could place both civilians and aid workers at risk. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres voiced opposition last month, citing concerns about neutrality, independence, and operational safety.
The closed-door UN briefing, expected to take place this week, has drawn skepticism. “To the best of our knowledge, this is an unofficial briefing done in the U.S. mission,” Greece’s UN mission told Anadolu, as it currently holds the Security Council presidency for May.
Trump’s remarks also come just days before his Middle East tour, during which he will attend a summit with Gulf leaders focusing on Iran and Gaza. The trip, spanning Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE, is expected to shape U.S. strategy in the region and may include announcements on both humanitarian and security initiatives.
As the Gaza crisis deepens and international pressure mounts, attention is now fixed on Washington’s next steps—and whether Thursday’s announcement will mark a shift in U.S. policy or further controversy.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment