Former Cuban President Raúl Castro indicted in the U.S., Trump official says
FormeFormer Cuban President Raúl Castro has been indicted in the United States, according to a senior Trump...
A verbal order from U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth briefly halted 11 arms shipments to Ukraine without presidential approval, exposing cracks in Trump’s early national security process.
Just a week into President Donald Trump’s second term, the U.S. military halted 11 flights carrying weapons to Ukraine. The order, issued verbally from Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth’s office, stopped shipments from Dover Air Force Base and a U.S. base in the UAE.
The pause stunned officials in Kyiv, Warsaw, and Washington. Top national security staff were unaware of the decision, and the White House said the move reflected Trump's position at the time. But according to several sources, Trump gave no instruction to stop aid.
The flights resumed within days, but the confusion underscored deeper dysfunction. TRANSCOM records show the order came after a January 30 Oval Office meeting. Sources say Hegseth may have misunderstood a discussion about using aid as leverage in peace talks.
The incident cost TRANSCOM up to $2.2 million and raised concerns about the chain of command. National Security Adviser Mike Waltz later reversed the decision. He was removed from his post last week and is now expected to be nominated U.S. ambassador to the U.N.
Behind the scenes, Hegseth was reportedly influenced by a group of Pentagon advisers with no prior government experience and anti-interventionist views. Some of those staffers, including Dan Caldwell, were later escorted from the building over alleged security breaches.
The White House maintains that the war is closer to resolution than when Trump took office. But Ukraine, already struggling in the east, was caught off guard by the pause. U.S. and European officials described it to Kyiv as “internal politics.”
No new military aid policy has been announced. The final Biden-era shipments are now moving again.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
Russia is considering the possibility of joint projects with the United States and China, Kirill Dmitriev, Head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, (Russia's sovereign wealth fund), was quoted as saying by state media on Wednesday.
FormeFormer Cuban President Raúl Castro has been indicted in the United States, according to a senior Trump administration official. The move marks a significant escalation in Washington’s pressure campaign against Cuba’s communist leadership.
The red carpet had barely been rolled up after Donald Trump’s departure before Beijing was laying it out again. Vladimir Putin arrived in the Chinese capital on Wednesday for talks with Xi Jinping, just days after Trump’s own high-profile visit.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen discussed Türkiye-EU relations and rising Middle East tensions during a phone call on Tuesday.
The visit of Russian President Vladimir Putin to China, just days after U.S. President Donald Trump left Beijing, has highlighted intensifying great-power signalling amid a rapidly fragmenting global order.
The European Union has moved closer to implementing tariff cuts under last year’s U.S. trade agreement after negotiators agreed on a provisional legislative text.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment