WHO says millions of Afghans at risk as fragile health system faces funding shortfall
The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that Afghanistan is facing a worsening humanitarian and health crisis in 2025, with millions of returni...
As the world adjusts to the trade shockwaves triggered by U.S. tariffs, Brussels and Abu Dhabi are forging a new path. On Thursday, the European Union and the United Arab Emirates confirmed they will launch formal negotiations on a free trade agreement.
The announcement followed a phone call between European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, both sides said in separate statements.
The decision comes at a time of global economic uncertainty, just days after President Donald Trump raised import duties, only to scale some of them back under pressure from markets and trade partners. For the EU and UAE, the move signals a clear intention to deepen economic ties and sidestep instability.
The talks will aim to cut tariffs and trade barriers, open up market access for goods and services, and strengthen cooperation in sectors such as renewable energy, green hydrogen and critical raw materials, according to the EU.
The UAE's state news agency WAM called the agreement a step toward a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement, one that could unlock opportunities in advanced manufacturing, logistics, healthcare and artificial intelligence. The pact is also expected to promote bilateral investment and long-term commercial growth.
The European Union is already the UAE’s second-largest trading partner, making up 8.3 percent of its total non-oil trade. It is also the Emirates’ top export destination and largest investment source in the Middle East and North Africa.
Abu Dhabi has pushed for deeper economic ties with Europe for years, and Reuters reported in March 2024 that the UAE had been quietly urging Brussels to start direct trade talks, independently of the Gulf Cooperation Council.
Now, those talks are becoming reality.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
Music mega-star Taylor Swift and National Football League player Travis Kelce announced their engagement. “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married," the couple wrote in a joint Instagram post, alongside photos of Kelce proposing to Swift in a garden of pink and white flowers.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that Afghanistan is facing a worsening humanitarian and health crisis in 2025, with millions of returning refugees expected to stretch the country’s already fragile health system.
A woman pinned beneath concrete, a man with a badly broken leg, a child trapped under the rubble.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is due to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping on Sunday, as relations between the two Asian powers show signs of warming amidst U.S. President Donald Trump’s imposition of steep tariffs on New Delhi.
Germany has told its nationals to leave Iran and refrain from travelling there to avoid getting caught in retaliatory acts by Tehran over Germany's role in triggering United Nations sanctions on Iran over its nuclear programme.
Britain has barred Israeli government officials from attending its largest defence trade show, DSEI UK 2025, in response to Israel's escalating military operations in Gaza. The move marks a rare rebuke of a historically close ally during rising humanitarian concerns.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment