live UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents amid Iran conflict deadlock- Middle East conflict
A drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, officials said on Sunday, with ...
Italy has begun testing Starlink satellite systems in four embassies worldwide to explore secure communication options for its diplomats and defense officials, though no national security contract has been signed with Elon Musk's company, SpaceX, the government confirmed on Thursday.
Italy has begun testing Starlink antennas in four embassies worldwide but has yet to sign a national security contract with Elon Musk's company, SpaceX, according to a statement from Minister for Parliamentary Relations Luca Ciriani on Thursday.
The Italian government, led by its right-wing administration, is exploring options for encrypted communications to ensure secure links between diplomats, government officials, and defense personnel operating in high-risk regions. Among the potential solutions, Starlink stands out as a top contender. However, the ongoing discussions with the company have sparked controversy, particularly from opposition politicians who question the wisdom of entrusting national security infrastructure to a foreign company with close ties to U.S. President Donald Trump.
Ciriani clarified that Italy had initiated limited trials with Starlink systems at diplomatic offices in Burkina Faso, Bangladesh, Lebanon, and Iran. The antennas were set up to test their functionality and would not be used for classified communications. No direct contract with SpaceX has been established, with third-party companies involved in the process instead.
Despite concerns, Italy is considering a possible five-year agreement valued at around 1.5 billion euros ($1.63 billion) with Starlink, which operates the world’s largest constellation of 6,700 active satellites. Its competition includes Eutelsat, a Franco-British operator with far fewer satellites.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well as other major units, were key to "more thoroughly deterring war," state media KCNA reported on Monday.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Samsung Electronics and its labour union commenced high-stakes talks on Monday (18 May) in a last-ditch bid to avert what would be the biggest strike in the tech giant's history.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 18th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment