Israel’s largest defense firm secures $130 million rocket supply deal
Elbit Systems, Israel’s largest defense company, has secured a $130 million contract to supply advanced rocket munitions to an undisclosed European country.
Israel blocked the entry of aid trucks into Gaza on Sunday as a standoff over the truce that has halted fighting for the past six weeks escalated, with Hamas calling on Egyptian and Qatari mediators to intervene.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said earlier that it had adopted a proposal by U.S. President Donald Trump's envoy, Steve Witkoff, for a temporary ceasefire in Gaza for the Ramadan and Passover periods, hours after the first phase of the previously agreed ceasefire expired.
If agreed, the truce would halt fighting until the end of the Ramadan fasting period around March 31 and the Jewish Passover holiday around April 20.
The truce would be conditional on Hamas releasing half of the living and dead hostages on the first day, with the remainder released at the conclusion, if an agreement is reached on a permanent ceasefire.
Hamas says it is committed to the originally agreed ceasefire that had been scheduled to move into a second phase, with negotiations aimed at a permanent end to the war, and it has rejected the idea of a temporary extension to the 42-day truce.
Egyptian sources said on Friday that the Israeli delegation in Cairo had sought to extend the first phase by 42 days, while Hamas wanted to move to the second phase of the ceasefire deal. Spokesman Hazem Qassem said on Saturday that the group rejected Israel's "formulation" of extending the first phase.
In the first phase of the ceasefire, Hamas handed over 33 Israeli hostages as well as five Thais returned in an unscheduled release, in exchange for around 2,000 Palestinian prisoners and detainees from Israeli jails and the withdrawal of Israeli troops from some of their positions in Gaza.
Under the original agreement, the second phase was intended to see the start of negotiations over the release of the remaining 59 hostages, the full withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza, and a final end to the war.
However the talks never began and Israel says all its hostages must be returned for fighting to stop.
"Israel will not allow a ceasefire without the release of our hostages," Netanyahu's office said, announcing that the entry of all goods and supplies into the Gaza Strip would be halted.
"If Hamas persists in its refusal, there will be additional consequences."
Hamas has denounced Israel's move as "blackmail" and a "blatant coup against the agreement".
"We call on mediators to pressure the occupation to fulfill its obligations under the agreement, in all its phases," it said, adding that the only way to get the hostages back would be to adhere to the agreement and start talks for the second phase.
Commenting on the goods suspension, Senior Hamas official Sami Abu Zuhri told Reuters the decision would impact the ceasefire talks, adding his group "doesn't respond to pressures."
Aid groups in Myanmar’s worst-hit areas urgently need shelter, food, and water after a devastating 7.7 magnitude earthquake killed over 2,700 people. Rescue efforts face challenges due to ongoing civil war, damaged infrastructure, and restricted aid access, with the toll expected to rise.
French far-right leader Marine Le Pen was banned from running for public office for five years after being convicted of embezzlement, ruling her out of the 2027 presidential race. She received a four-year prison sentence, with two years suspended, and a €100,000 fine. Le Pen plans to appeal.
Apple marked its 49th anniversary by reaching a market capitalization of $3.3 trillion. Despite recent tech stock volatility, Apple's shares surged 28% in 2024.
The Armenian armed forces attempted three reconnaissance drone flights over Azerbaijan Army positions near Gerenzur, but all were successfully intercepted. Meanwhile, Armenian units repeatedly fired on Azerbaijani positions from multiple regions, escalating tensions in the area.
UK set to host 2035 Women’s World Cup as FIFA confirms sole bid. The joint bid from England, Scotland, Wales & NI stands uncontested, marking a major milestone for women’s football. Final approval pending, but preparations for a historic event are underway.
Severe storms across the southern and Midwestern US have caused "generational" flooding and tornadoes, leaving over 400,000 without power. With up to 15 inches of rain expected and more tornadoes, officials warn of catastrophic damage and life-threatening conditions.
Seven migrants, including a child, died when their boat sank off Lesbos. 23 survivors were rescued, but the search continues. Greece remains a crucial entry point for migrants, underscoring the perilous sea journey many undertake in search of safety and a new life.
The Hungarian government has decided to withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC), marking a significant shift in the country's international stance.
Belgium has warned that newly announced U.S. import tariffs could weaken its economic growth, even as Washington presses allies to ramp up defence spending.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment