Australia condemns Israel over closure of Gaza aid worker case
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom ...
The detention of Israel’s former military Advocate General has been extended until Friday as investigators probe a video leak showing soldiers allegedly abusing a Palestinian detainee.
The former chief legal officer of Israel’s military, Major-General Yifat Tomer-Yerushalmi, will remain in custody until Friday, a police source told Reuters on Wednesday, as an investigation continues into a high-profile video leak case.
Tomer-Yerushalmi, who resigned last week amid a criminal inquiry into the leak, was arrested on Sunday after briefly being reported missing.
She has admitted to authorising the release of the footage in August 2024, saying it was intended to counter what she described as propaganda against the military’s legal division.
The leaked video appeared to show Israeli soldiers abusing a Palestinian detainee held during the Gaza conflict. According to investigators, the man suffered cracked ribs, a punctured lung, and a torn rectum. The case led to indictments against five reservists on charges of severe abuse and injury.
The video’s release triggered a political storm, with right-wing politicians denouncing the inquiry. Protesters stormed two military bases after investigators summoned troops for questioning.
A week later, security camera footage showing the alleged assault was leaked to Israel’s N12 News, fuelling further outrage.
Tomer-Yerushalmi said her actions were an effort to defend the integrity of the military’s legal department, which is responsible for upholding the rule of law within the armed forces.
Rights groups have repeatedly reported abuses of Palestinians in Israeli detention during the war. The Israel Defense Forces said it is investigating dozens of such cases but insists that abuse is not systematic.
Police have declined to comment publicly on the ongoing investigation.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment