Elon Musk asks court to dismiss SEC lawsuit over late Twitter stake disclosure
Billionaire Elon Musk filed a motion on Thursday seeking to dismiss a civil lawsuit brought by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), whic...
Burundi is struggling to cope with a rapid influx of over 40,000 refugees fleeing intensified fighting in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The UN has warned of an escalating humanitarian crisis as thousands arrive daily, many in urgent need of aid.
The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) reported that over 9,000 people crossed into Burundi in a single day last week, marking an unprecedented surge. “This is the first time Burundi has received this large number of people,” said Brigitte Mukanga-eno, UNHCR’s representative in Burundi.
The refugees are escaping renewed conflict in eastern Congo, where the M23 rebel group has launched its most significant offensive in over a decade. The fighting stems from longstanding ethnic and political tensions, as well as competition for Congo’s vast mineral wealth.
Rwanda has denied allegations from the DRC, UN, and Western governments that it is supporting M23 with arms and troops. Kigali claims it is defending itself against Hutu militias operating alongside the Congolese military.
The refugee crisis has put immense pressure on Burundi’s northwest regions, where many displaced people arrive injured or suffering from health issues like measles. Some, already displaced multiple times, struggle to survive. The UNHCR recounted the tragic case of a woman whose two children died from exhaustion shortly after reaching Burundi.
Since February 14, at least 36,000 people have crossed the Rusizi River on makeshift boats, while another 6,000 have entered via official border crossings in Bujumbura. Many are being temporarily sheltered in stadiums, schools, and churches.
The UNHCR has launched an emergency appeal for $40.4 million to support up to 258,000 displaced people across Burundi, Tanzania, and Zambia. Plans are underway to relocate refugees to areas where they can receive humanitarian aid.
Burundi, which has deployed troops in eastern Congo for years, initially sent soldiers to target Burundian rebels. More recently, its forces have joined the fight against M23, further entangling the country in the region’s ongoing instability.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
Kuwait says oil prices will likely stay below $72 per barrel as OPEC monitors global supply trends and U.S. policy signals. The remarks come during market uncertainty fueled by new U.S. tariffs on India and possible sanctions on Russia.
Microsoft has dismissed four employees for protesting against its ties to Israel, including two who staged a sit-in at the office of company president Brad Smith this week.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Tokyo on Friday for a two-day summit, aiming to strengthen strategic and economic ties with Japan during growing U.S. trade pressures.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy urged European leaders to define clear security guarantees for Ukraine during a virtual meeting, stressing the need for unity and stronger pressure on Russia amid ongoing war.
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Thursday (August 28) praised Colombian President Gustavo Petro for deploying 25,000 troops to strengthen security in the Catatumbo region, a key area along the shared border between the two countries.
Protesters in Jakarta again confronted police on 28 August, expressing outrage over lawmakers’ high salaries and perks. The unrest turned tragic when a motorcyclist was killed by a police vehicle, leading President Prabowo Subianto to call for calm and launch an investigation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment