San Diego Mosque Attack: Expert says there is a global connection driving these attacks
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic...
Bukavu, DRC—Chaos has erupted as Rwanda-backed M23 rebels reach the city’s outskirts, triggering gunfire, looting, and fears of further escalation.
Chaos has erupted in Bukavu, eastern Congo, as Rwanda-backed M23 rebels reach the city's outskirts. Reports indicate sporadic gunfire and widespread looting across the area.
The World Food Programme has confirmed that 6,800 tonnes of food from its warehouse in Bukavu are being looted, with large crowds making off with sacks of supplies.
The rebels have been advancing south toward Bukavu, the second-largest city in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, since seizing Goma—the region’s largest city—at the end of last month.
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has called for dialogue between the warring parties in eastern Congo. Speaking at an African Union summit in Addis Ababa, he stressed that military force is not the solution, emphasizing that peace can only be achieved through negotiations.
Concerns over a potential regional conflict have grown as the rebels continue their push south. Leaders from Eastern and Southern African regional blocs urged all parties to engage in direct talks last weekend.
However, Congolese President, Félix Tshisekedi, has refused to negotiate with the M23. He also canceled his appearance at the African Union summit, opting to send his prime minister in his place. Meanwhile, Rwandan President, Paul Kagame, has repeatedly denied supporting the M23.
The United States has warned of potential sanctions against Rwandan and Congolese officials, while the European Parliament has urged the European Union to suspend direct budgetary support to Rwanda.
If Bukavu, a city of about two million people, falls to the M23, it would mark the largest territorial expansion by the rebels since their insurgency resumed in 2022. Such a loss would further undermine Kinshasa’s authority in Congo’s eastern borderlands, a region rich in minerals.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment