live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persist
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
The announcement came late on Tuesday, 17 August, hours before the tariffs were due to take effect, following a phone call between Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney.
Trump said the pause was based on the two countries having “a deal”, although he stressed that documents still needed to be finalised.
Carney's office said in a statement that "substantial progress has been made with the U.S., althought thre is important work still to be done."
Trump also suggested the long-disputed Keystone XL pipeline could be revived, saying the project “may be awoken from the grave”.
The pipeline was cancelled by former President Joe Biden in 2021 following years of opposition from environmental groups and Indigenous communities.
The tariff dispute has put pressure on businesses across the highly integrated U.S.-Canadian economy. Existing U.S. tariffs on Canadian cars were reportedly among the final sticking points in negotiations.
The three-day pause gives both governments a short window to finalise an agreement and prevent the threatened tariffs from taking effect.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
With governments focused on conflicts in the Gulf and Ukraine, China is pressing ahead with a more assertive military and strategic posture across the Pacific, particularly around its immediate neighbourhood.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment