Israel, Colombia announce mutual visa exemption from September
Israel and Colombia will waive advance visa requirements for travellers from 1 September as the two countries move to restore diplomatic and econom...
Democratic Republic of Congo President Félix Tshisekedi has vowed a "strong and coordinated" response to reclaim the city of Goma, which was seized by M23 rebels earlier this week.
In a televised address on Wednesday, Tshisekedi accused Rwanda of supporting the M23 insurgency, calling the rebel group a "terrorist organization." He stated that he had convened emergency meetings with government and military officials to assess the situation and plan countermeasures.
Earlier on Wednesday, nearly 300 foreign mercenaries hired by the Congolese government surrendered to the rebel group. Recruited to bolster DR Congo’s underfunded and disorganized army, the mercenaries reportedly worsened the conflict due to a lack of coordination.
After being cornered alongside remnants of Congo’s army and allied militias, the fighters surrendered to United Nations peacekeepers, who facilitated their repatriation through Rwanda. Before crossing the border, one of the mercenaries was publicly reprimanded by an M23 spokesperson in front of journalists.
Rwanda, which diplomats claim supports M23 fighters, called for a ceasefire in eastern Congo and urged the Congolese government to negotiate with the rebels. However, Kigali has denied any involvement in the conflict.
Rwanda’s foreign minister told Reuters that fighting in Goma itself had stopped because the city was now under M23 control.
Meanwhile, residents in Goma reported ongoing looting and sporadic gunfire in the city.
The Congolese government considers M23 a “terrorist group” and has refused to engage in direct negotiations with them.
M23 rebels are reportedly advancing south from Goma in an apparent bid to expand their controlled territory. Videos circulating on social media show armed fighters moving along the rebels' reported route, though it remains unclear which side the individuals belong to.
The rebels' rapid territorial gains in mineral-rich eastern Congo since the start of the year follow the collapse of peace talks between Kinshasa and Kigali in mid-December.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
South African human rights and environmental groups have urged the government to block Israeli-linked Navitas Petroleum from acquiring a stake in a major offshore oil block, citing concerns over the war in Gaza and environmental risks.
Israel and Colombia will waive advance visa requirements for travellers from 1 September as the two countries move to restore diplomatic and economic relations following years of tensions over the war in Gaza.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
The United States imposed fresh sanctions on Hezbollah on Thursday, redesignating the Lebanese group over what Washington described as its actions on behalf of the Iranian government and targeting 10 people accused of moving cash for the group.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment