Trump says Iran not ready to make the 'right deal'
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over th...
Three students have been killed and at least seven injured after two of their peers opened fire in a high school in the Philippines, police said. A spokesperson for the police said the two suspects, aged 14 and 15, had been arrested and a police pistol confiscated. Bullying is a possible motive.
The attack took place inside San Jose National High School in Tacloban City southeast of the capital Manilla at around 09:00 local time (01:00GMT) on Monday.
Police said the suspects used a Glock pistol and a revolver, adding that 40 empty shells were recovered from the crime scene.
Allen Rae Co, the Philippine National Police Spokesperson, said one of the weapons, a pistol, was issued to a police officer. The individual was now in police custody and under investigation, he said.
Co added school bullying was a possible motive, with initial interviews with the suspects indicating that the two were allegedly bullied since they were in seventh grade.
"Initially, the motive of the crime is a grudge related to school bullying," Co told reporters.
The revolver is registered to a security agency based in Cebu City in central Philippines, Co added. Both suspects have been turned over to social welfare authorities.
The shooting occurred just weeks after schools in the Philippines reopened following a months-long break.
Police added that they were continuing inquiries into the circumstances behind the incident and had deployed additional officers at the school to ensure the safety of students, staff and parents.
The victims are being treated in nearby hospitals. Classes have been suspended at all schools in the area, according to Philippines media.
The country's President, Ferdinand Marcos Jr, expresed sadness over the incident, and ordered authorities to conduct a thorough investigation.
The incident is unusual in the Philippines, where school shootings are rare. The country has strict gun ownership regulations, including background checks and psychological evaluation requirements.
In July 2022, a gunman opened fire at an Ateneo de Manila University law school graduation ceremony in Quezon City, killing three people, including a former city mayor.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Tunisian authorities have recovered the bodies of four migrants after a boat carrying 15 people capsized off the southeastern coast, with search operations continuing for those still missing, according to a migrant rights group.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods after Washington and Ottawa failed to reach a new trade agreement, with both sides accusing the other of derailing negotiations at the final stage.
Türkiye has asked Interpol to issue a red notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a criminal case linked to Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza, Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said on Friday.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment