A gunman who fired at a White House checkpoint was shot by officers and died after being taken to the hospital on Saturday evening, the U.S. Secret Service said.
Court records show that Nasire Best, the 21-year-old man shot dead by agents outside the White House, had prior encounters with the Secret Service.
His social media accounts also reportedly included posts appearing to threaten violence against President Donald Trump, as well as another in which he wrote, “I’m actually the son of God.”
The source said he was previously arrested by the U.S. Secret Service in July 2025 after attempting to enter the White House and was subsequently committed to a psychiatric facility for mental health treatment.
The man approached the checkpoint at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House, pulled a gun out of his bag and started shooting at officers, according to a Secret Service statement sent to Reuters. Officers returned fire and shot the suspect, the agency said.
A bystander was struck by gunfire, though authorities did not specify the severity of the injuries. The Secret Service said it remains unclear whether the person was hit by the gunman’s initial shots or during the exchange of fire with officers.
The shooting suspect was identified as an emotionally disturbed person, a law enforcement official told Reuters, adding that a "stay-away order" had been issued to him previously.
No law enforcement personnel were injured, the Secret Service said, adding that President Trump was at the White House during the incident.
The shooting comes nearly a month after a gunman fired shots inside the hotel hosting the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, prompting Trump and other officials to be rushed out.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment