Azerbaijan’s support to Ukraine could set regional example, aid group director says
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of de...
A federal judge in New York released a handwritten document described as a suicide note purportedly written by late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, nearly seven years after his death in a Manhattan jail cell. The document was released late Wednesday (6 May).
The note, written on a yellow legal pad, included the line, “It is a treat to be able to choose one’s time to say goodbye.”
U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas ordered the document unsealed after a request from The New York Times, which first reported on its existence last week.
Epstein, a disgraced financier accused of sex trafficking minors, was found dead in August 2019 at a Manhattan federal jail in what authorities ruled a suicide.
The note was reportedly discovered by Epstein’s former cellmate, Nicholas Tartaglione, who later submitted it as part of court proceedings connected to his own criminal case. Tartaglione is serving four consecutive life sentences for drug-related murders.
Judge Karas ruled that the document qualified as a judicial record subject to public access because it had been filed in connection with Tartaglione’s case.
However, the judge stressed that the court was not determining whether the note was authentic or examining how it had been handled before entering the court record.
“No party has identified any competing consideration that would justify sealing the Note,” Karas wrote in the ruling.
According to images released in the court file, the note included references to investigations into Epstein and contained several fragmented remarks, including, “They investigated me for month - Found NOTHING!!! So 15 year old charges resulted,” the note says, according to an image of it released in the court file.
"It is a treat to be able to choose ones time to say goodbye. Watcha want me to do - Burst out cryin!! NO FUN - NOT WORTH IT!!"
The document first surfaced in July 2019 after Epstein was found injured in his jail cell in what authorities later described as an apparent suicide attempt. Tartaglione has previously claimed the note was hidden inside a book in their shared cell.
He had previously pleaded guilty in 2008 in Florida to soliciting prostitution from a minor, a conviction that led to a controversial plea deal and a short jail sentence. He was arrested again in July 2019 and charged with sex trafficking of minors, accused of recruiting and abusing underage girls in New York and Florida.
Epstein died weeks later on 10 August 2019 while awaiting trial.
The case has remained the subject of widespread public scrutiny and conspiracy theories for years, fuelled in part by Epstein’s high-profile connections and questions surrounding jail security failures on the night of his death.
Judge Karas, in ordering the note’s release, said Epstein’s death and extensive public discussion surrounding the document weakened arguments for keeping it sealed.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least twelve people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment