live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Russian President Vladimir Putin confirmed on Friday (November 21) that Moscow had received the U.S. proposals for peace in Ukraine, but emphasized that the plan had not been discussed in detail with Russia.
Putin suggested that the proposed plan could serve as a foundation for a final peaceful settlement, but noted that the absence of Ukraine's consent remained a significant obstacle.
Russia’s Concerns Over Ukraine’s Rejection
Speaking to senior officials, Putin stated that while Russia had received the peace plan through established communication channels with the U.S. administration, it had not been thoroughly discussed with Moscow. He pointed to Ukraine’s refusal to engage with the plan as the reason for the lack of detailed discussions.
“I believe it can be used as the basis of a final peaceful settlement, but it has not been discussed with us in detail. The reason is the same: the U.S. administration has so far failed to secure Ukraine's consent. Ukraine is against it,” Putin said.
Warning of Continued Military Action
Putin also issued a stern warning to Kyiv and European powers, stating that the failure to discuss the peace proposal would lead to the continuation of Russian military operations. He referenced the recent events in Kupiansk, a city in eastern Ukraine, suggesting that similar incidents would occur in other critical frontline areas.
“If Kyiv does not want to discuss President Trump's proposals and refuses to do so, then both they and the European warmongers must understand that the events that took place in Kupiansk will inevitably be repeated in other key areas of the frontline,” he said, adding that while the military advances might not be as rapid as Moscow would like, they would continue until peace was achieved.
Putin reaffirmed that Russia was willing to pursue peace, but only under the condition that the plan be discussed in full and its details properly addressed. He stated that Russia was “ready for peaceful negotiations” but stressed the importance of substantive discussions to resolve the ongoing conflict.
“We’re satisfied with it, as it leads to achieving the goals of the 'special military operation' by armed means, through armed conflict. But, as I've said many times before, we're also ready for peaceful negotiations and peaceful resolution of problems,” Putin said.
The Road to Peace
Putin’s comments highlight the continued division between Moscow, Kyiv, and Western powers regarding the resolution of the war in Ukraine. Despite the U.S. proposing a peace plan, Ukraine’s rejection and the lack of consensus between the involved parties have left the conflict unresolved.
As Russian forces continue their operations on the ground, Putin’s remarks signal that the military option remains a priority for Moscow, but the door to negotiations remains open — provided that all parties can agree on the specifics of a peace plan. The international community, including the U.S. and European powers, will likely continue to exert pressure for a diplomatic solution, but the path to peace remains fraught with challenges and uncertainties.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment