Government weighs removing Andrew from royal succession line
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arre...
Iran does not seek war with Israel or the United States but is prepared to respond if attacked, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Thursday (8 January ) as economic protests sweep the country and Tehran's crackdown reportedly intensifies.
Speaking in Beirut, Araghchi said Tehran is also open to negotiations with Washington over its nuclear programme, provided talks are conducted on a basis of mutual respect rather than “dictation” by the U.S.
“America and Israel have tested their attacks on Iran, and these strategies failed,” Araghchi told the press at Beirut's Rafik Hariri International Airport, Lebanon's National News Agency reports.
“If they repeat it, they will face the same results. We are ready for any choice. We do not desire war, but we are ready for it,” he added.
The Iranian minister also emphasised the country’s willingness to engage in constructive dialogue over its atomic programme.
“Negotiations should be based on mutual respect and mutual interests,” he said.
“Once the Americans adopt a constructive framework rather than issuing dictations, the results of these talks will be fruitful,” the Iranian FM concluded.
Araghchi’s remarks come amid heightened fears of renewed conflict following last June’s 12-day clashes, when Israel struck Iranian targets (including military officials and nuclear scientists) and the U.S. attacked several nuclear enrichment sites.
Iran resumed uranium enrichment up to 60% purity after the United States withdrew from the 2015 nuclear agreement in 2018 under U.S. President Donald Trump, who reimposed sanctions and launched a “maximum pressure” campaign against Tehran.
While Iran maintains its nuclear programme is peaceful, Western nations and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) have said the country pursued a nuclear weapons programme until 2003.
Trump last month warned Iran that further U.S. military action could follow if Tehran attempts to rebuild its nuclear capabilities, during meetings with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Florida.
Lebanon visit
Araghchi’s two-day visit to Beirut coincided with Lebanon’s military announcement that it had completed the first phase of a plan to disarm militias, including Iran-backed Hezbollah.
Leading an economic delegation, the Iranian minister discussed regional and international affairs with Lebanese officials.
“Iran desires comprehensive relations with Lebanon, including economic partnerships,” he said.
The visit also comes in the context of the October 2023 Israel-Hezbollah conflict, triggered by Hamas attacks on southern Israel.
The war ended with a ceasefire in November 2024, after Israel’s ground and air operations weakened Hezbollah, killed much of its leadership, and required both sides to vacate southern Lebanon in favour of the Lebanese Armed Forces.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Kazakhstan has entered the world’s top 50 economies by GDP in 2026, ranking 50th with a projected nominal output of $320 billion. The result reflects sustained growth, structural reforms and the country’s rising role as a regional economic hub.
The Armenian Cabinet has approved a military-technical cooperation agreement (MTC) with Poland, which will be forwarded to parliament for ratification following its signing, according to Armenian media.
Iran's foreign minister is expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days following this week's nuclear talks with the United States. Meanwhile, U.S. President Donald Trump said he is considering limited military strikes.
Uzbekistan's president Shavkat Mirziyoyev has held a series of high-level meetings in the U.S. aimed at strengthening bilateral economic and strategic ties between the two countries.
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 February), but according to former Turkish diplomat Mehmet Öğütçü, the decisive factor will be whether Israel and the United States agree on Ankara’s role.
Türkiye is prepared to contribute troops to a proposed international stabilisation force for Gaza, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Thursday.
Iran has warned it will respond “decisively” if subjected to military aggression, saying U.S. President Donald Trump’s rhetoric signals “a real risk of military aggression”.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment