Verstappen claims victory at the Qatar Grand Prix after dominant performance
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen triumphed at the Qatar Grand Prix, overtaking McLaren’s Oscar Piastri for victory, while Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz Jr. co...
A Paris court granted former French President Nicolas Sarkozy early release from jail on Monday, pending an appeal, just weeks after he started a five-year sentence for conspiring to raise campaign funds from Libya.
The former conservative president, 70, was jailed on October 21 after a court found him guilty in September of criminal conspiracy over efforts by close aides to procure funds for his 2007 presidential bid from late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
He was acquitted of all other charges, including corruption and receiving illegal campaign financing.
He is now due to leave La Sante prison in Paris later on Monday afternoon.
PROSECUTOR RECOMMENDED RELEASE WITH STRICT SUPERVISION
Sarkozy's prison sentence had been enforced swiftly because of the "extraordinary seriousness" of the crime, judge Nathalie Gavarino told the court.
He was incarcerated at La Sante prison in Paris last month - a stunning downfall for a man who had led France from 2007 until 2012.
But the public prosecutor on Monday recommended that Sarkozy be freed pending his appeal and put under strict judicial supervision, with a ban on contact with other indicted individuals and witnesses involved in the proceedings. The prosecutor said that Sarkozy did not represent a flight risk.
The court agreed to release him under judicial supervision, which would include a ban on leaving France, BFM TV said.
Sarkozy has consistently denied wrongdoing, calling himself a victim of revenge and hatred. He did not attend the hearing in person but was taking part via video link from prison.
He told the court earlier on Monday that he would respect any demand from the judiciary if he was freed.
"I'm French, sir. I love my country. I’m fighting for the truth to prevail. I will comply with all the obligations imposed on me, as I always have," he said.
Speaking of being in jail, he added: "It’s tough. Really tough — as it must be for any detainee. I’d even say it’s draining."
Sarkozy has consistently denied wrongdoing and has appealed, calling himself a victim of revenge and hatred. He will not attend the hearing but be represented in the appeals court by lawyers.
In French criminal law, those justifications include the need to prevent a continuation of the crime or to ensure that the accused remains available to the justice system.
U.S. investigators have recovered the black box recorders from the wreckage of a UPS cargo plane that crashed in flames on takeoff in Louisville, Kentucky. At least twelve people died. The crash sent a wall of fire into an industrial corridor and forced the shutdown of the airport.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said on Friday that the group retains the right to respond to Israel’s killing of its top military commander, leaving open the possibility of a new conflict with the country.
Kazakhstan has called on Ukraine to stop striking the Black Sea terminal of the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC) after a major drone attack forced a halt to exports and caused serious damage to loading equipment.
Russia’s state communications watchdog said it is tightening restrictions on WhatsApp, claiming the US-owned platform violates Russian law and is being used to facilitate criminal activity, according to comments carried by the Tass news agency.
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen triumphed at the Qatar Grand Prix, overtaking McLaren’s Oscar Piastri for victory, while Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz Jr. completed the podium in Doha.
China’s Xuelong 2 icebreaker has reached waters near Zhongshan Station and begun icebreaking operations as part of the country’s 42nd Antarctic scientific expedition, a 19-month mission aimed at advancing polar research and strengthening international scientific cooperation.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Sunday he expected ongoing talks with Ukrainian officials to deliver “more progress” toward reaching a deal to end the conflict in Ukraine.
OPEC+ is expected to maintain its current oil production levels at meetings scheduled for Sunday, as the alliance weighs the risks of an emerging supply glut against ongoing geopolitical uncertainty, four OPEC+ sources told reporters this week.
More than a thousand people gathered in Hong Kong on Sunday to mourn victims of the city’s deadliest fire in 75 years, as Beijing warned against any protest.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment