AnewZ Morning Brief - 22 February, 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of February, covering the latest developments you need to...
Russia said its forces have captured the village of Rybne in Ukraine’s southeastern Zaporizhzhia region, though Kyiv has not confirmed the claim. Ukraine’s military says it repelled multiple Russian assaults nearby amid ongoing heavy fighting.
Russia claimed on Sunday (November 9) that its forces had taken control of the village of Rybne in Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia region, as fighting continues along the southeastern front.
In a statement posted on Telegram, the Russian Defence Ministry said its troops had captured Rybne, located about 17 kilometres (10.5 miles) north of Huliaipole, one of the key flashpoints in the region. The village is also around 36 kilometres (22.3 miles) west of Velyka Novosilka, a strategic town near the junction of the Donetsk, Zaporizhzhia, and Dnipropetrovsk regions.
Earlier this year, in January, Russia claimed to have seized Velyka Novosilka in Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region — a claim that Kyiv has not confirmed. The area remains one of the most contested parts of the front line, with both sides frequently reporting attacks and counteroffensives.
Rybne lies near the administrative border between the Zaporizhzhia and Dnipropetrovsk regions, where Moscow’s forces have been attempting to push deeper into Ukrainian-held territory.
Ukraine’s General Staff, in its daily operational update, said its troops had repelled 18 Russian assaults near seven settlements in the Oleksandrivka front over the past 24 hours. The Ukrainian military said fighting took place near the village of Krasnohirske, which is located less than a kilometre (0.6 miles) from Rybne.
However, Ukrainian authorities have not immediately commented on Russia’s claim, and independent verification of battlefield reports remains difficult due to the ongoing war, now in its fourth year.
The Zaporizhzhia region — home to Europe’s largest nuclear power plant — has been a critical front in the conflict, with both Russia and Ukraine seeking to control key supply routes and defensive positions. The area has witnessed heavy shelling and drone strikes in recent weeks as Russian forces aim to consolidate their territorial gains ahead of winter.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has captured global attention after forming an unusual but heart-warming bond with a stuffed orangutan toy following abandonment by its mother.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Islamic State claimed two attacks on Syrian army personnel on Saturday (22 February), saying they marked the start of a new phase of operations against the country’s leadership under President Ahmed al-Sharaa.
Pakistan said it carried out cross-border strikes on militant targets inside Afghanistan after blaming a series of recent suicide bombings, including attacks during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from Afghan territory.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment