live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Israel ruled out Türkiye’s participation in a proposed multinational stabilization force in Gaza, saying there will be “no Turkish boots on the ground,” amid reports that Ankara had issued arrest warrants for 37 Israeli officials, including Prime Minister Netanyahu.
Israel has ruled out the possibility of Turkish troops joining a multinational force in Gaza, which is expected to oversee the next phase of governance after Israeli forces withdraw from the enclave.
Speaking at a press briefing on Sunday (November 9), Israeli government spokesperson Shosh Bedrosian firmly rejected reports suggesting that Türkiye could participate in the International Security and Stabilization Force.
“There will be no Turkish boots on the ground, not in the present, not in the past, not in the future, specifically in the International Stabilization Force,” Bedrosian said, responding to a journalist’s question about Türkiye’s potential involvement.
Her remarks came after Turkish authorities reportedly issued arrest warrants for 37 Israeli officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, amid ongoing tensions between Ankara and Tel Aviv over Israel’s actions in Gaza.
According to reports, U.S. officials have been encouraging Israel to accept Türkiye’s participation in a future multinational civil-military administration, which is expected to help oversee the governance of Gaza as part of a phase-two arrangement following the withdrawal of Israeli troops.
Bedrosian’s statement made clear that Israel opposes Turkish involvement, signalling continued friction between the two governments despite calls from international actors for broader cooperation in post-conflict Gaza stabilization efforts.
Earlier on Sunday, Israel confirmed it had received the remains of a deceased hostage that Hamas said belonged to Israeli soldier Hadar Goldin, who was killed in Gaza more than a decade ago during the 2014 conflict.
The discovery of Goldin’s remains adds a deeply emotional dimension to Israel’s ongoing negotiations over hostages held by Hamas and its efforts to transition towards a post-conflict governance structure in Gaza.
Bedrosian reiterated Israel’s commitment to maintaining security control and oversight over any international arrangements in Gaza, emphasizing that Israel will decide which countries participate in future stabilization efforts.
The statement comes as diplomatic discussions continue between Israel, the United States, and regional powers over the establishment of an international administration to ensure governance, reconstruction, and security in Gaza once active combat operations conclude.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment