Germany to deploy Patriot battery to Türkiye under NATO mission
Germany will deploy a Patriot air-defence battery to Türkiye in the coming weeks as part of a NATO mission aimed at strengthening the alliance...
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered strikes on Gaza after accusing Hamas of violating the ceasefire deal by firing on Israeli troops and deliberately delaying the return of deceased hostages.
Hamas has reacted to the strike order by saying it would delay the return of a hostage body it found in Gaza which was scheduled to be handed over to the Israeli military by 8:00pm local time on Tuesday.
In a statement released by the group, it blamed "violations of the ceasefire agreement by the occupation".
According to Netanyahu's office, the order came after a meeting was held in Tuesday to address "Hamas repeated violation" of the ceasefire deal.
In a video published by the Israeli Defence Forces on its X account, it accused Hamas of lying about the location of the deceased hostages.
"Yesterday, Hamas terrorists were filmed removing body remains from a prepared structure and re-burying them nearby, before summoning Red Cross representatives to stage a false “discovery” for photographers." the post said.
Hamas had repeatedly said that recovery of all the deceased hostages would be difficult, due to being buried under the rubble in the Gaza strip.
Teams from Egypt and the Red Cross personnel had been allowed to enter Gaza to search for bodies of the hostages on Sunday, with Israeli media later reporting that Hamas members were also allowed to aid the search.
On Monday night, the body of one hostage was handed over to the Israeli Military by the Red Cross and is currently undergoing forensic idenification procedures.
This new development puts a strain on the fragile ceasefire deal brokered by the Trump led U.S. administration as both sides accuse each other of violating the terms of the deal.
Just last week, Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and President Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner were in Israel to shore up the ceasefire deal and to set out plans for the seond phase of the deal.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Germany will deploy a Patriot air-defence battery to Türkiye in the coming weeks as part of a NATO mission aimed at strengthening the alliance’s south-eastern flank, German officials have said.
Estonia said on Tuesday (19 May) that a NATO fighter jet shot down a suspected Ukrainian drone over its territory, in the latest reported airspace violation in the region amid ongoing Ukrainian strikes against Russia.
Sweden has agreed to buy four naval frigates from France’s Naval Group in a deal worth more than $4 billion, as Stockholm moves to strengthen its defence capabilities in the Baltic Sea, Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said on Tuesday.
Spanish police said on Tuesday they had detained a 25-year-old man suspected of killing his two parents and injuring four other people, including his son, in a shooting in the southern city of El Ejido in Almeria province overnight.
European Union negotiators are expected to agree on Tuesday (19 May) on legislation removing import duties on U.S. industrial goods, in a move aimed at implementing last year’s trade agreement with the United States and avoiding higher tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment