live Russia signals openness to new Ukraine peace ideas
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russia...
Flights were suspended from 10:30pm on Tuesday until 6:30am on Wednesday, following sightings of illicit balloon traffic in Lithuanian airspace, the National Crisis Management Centre (NCMC) said.
Authorities believe the balloons were used to transport contraband cigarettes from Belarus. Thirty flights were cancelled, and incoming aircraft were diverted to Kaunas and Warsaw airports.
“This morning I already demanded that everyone come with concrete solutions,” Lithuanian Prime Minister Inga Ruginienė told reporters at a press conference on Wednesday. “We must find — not debate, but find — what to do.”
The country’s eastern border with Belarus was also closed after the incident. The NCMC said the balloons appeared to have been launched from multiple locations.
Ruginienė said she would convene a National Security Committee meeting on Wednesday afternoon and called on Belarus to take responsibility for the incursions.
It was the second time this month that cigarette-smuggling balloons forced the closure of Vilnius airport. On 5 October, Lithuanian authorities intercepted at least 11 balloons carrying 18,000 packs of illegal cigarettes.
The closures add to a string of recent disruptions to European airspace. Airports in Copenhagen, Munich and the Baltic states have reported drone-related delays in recent months.
The European Union has previously accused Russia of hybrid warfare activities in the region, though Moscow denies any involvement.
An investigation into the latest balloon incident is ongoing, officials said.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Nearly 100 days after dozens of children were abducted from a school in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State, parents have taken to the streets to demand urgent government action to bring them home.
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August is putting Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of August, covering the latest developments.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment