live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
U.S. President Donald Trump has signed an executive order pledging U.S. military support to defend Qatar if it comes under attack, following last month’s Israeli airstrikes on Doha that intensified regional tensions.
The order, issued after the September 9 strikes, commits Washington to guaranteeing Qatar’s security and taking military action if the Gulf nation is targeted.
The Israeli attack hit Hamas officials meeting in Doha to discuss a U.S.-brokered Gaza ceasefire under Qatari mediation. Several members of the group were killed, along with a Qatari security officer. On Monday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu apologised to Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani during a joint call with Trump at the White House.
Trump called Qatar “a steadfast ally” and said the two countries were united by “shared interests and close military cooperation.” The order states that any armed aggression against Qatar will be considered a threat to U.S. peace and security.
The strike strained ties with Doha, which condemned Israel’s actions as “cowardly and treacherous.” U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio visited Qatar on September 16 for talks, following an emergency summit where Arab and Islamic leaders voiced solidarity with Doha.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
With governments focused on conflicts in the Gulf and Ukraine, China is pressing ahead with a more assertive military and strategic posture across the Pacific, particularly around its immediate neighbourhood.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment