Afghanistan, Belarus agree to deepen industrial cooperation
Afghanistan and Belarus have agreed to advance joint industrial projects, investment and technical cooperation following talks in Minsk, as Kabul s...
Widespread outrage has erupted in Yemen after Israeli airstrikes killed at least 46 people and wounded more than 165 on Wednesday, according to the Houthi-run Health Ministry.
Residents and officials accused Israel of deliberately targeting civilian neighborhoods and media offices, condemning the strikes as unlawful and indiscriminate.
The strikes targeted 15 locations in Sanaa and al-Jawf, including military sites and the office of the Houthi spokesperson, according to Israeli authorities. However, officials in Sanaa said the attacks hit civilian neighborhoods and media offices, prompting widespread outrage across the capital.
"What has happened in Sanaa and other Yemeni cities are war crimes in every sense of the word. The Israeli enemy does not distinguish between residential areas and military sites. In the end, it mainly targets crowded neighborhoods," said Tawfiq Al-Nasari, a local resident.
Hospitals in Sanaa are under tremendous strain, as the injured arrive in emergency rooms amid a severe shortage of medicine and medical supplies according to officials.
"This horrific crime committed by our enemy Israel against the Yemeni people targeted civilians, media centers, and heritage sites. The crime adds to Israel's record. Many of those taken to hospital are critically injured," said Anis Al-Subhi, spokesman for the Yemeni Ministry of Health.
The Houthi group has vowed to escalate its attacks on Israel, describing the targeting of civilian areas as a "blatant violation of international humanitarian law."
The group's military spokesperson added that the operation was also "within the framework of responding to the Israeli aggression against our country."
The attack followed an 30 August strike on Sanaa that killed the prime minister of the Houthi-run government and several ministers, in the first such assault to target senior officials.
"The strikes were carried out in response to attacks led by the Houthi terror regime against the State of Israel, during which unmanned aerial vehicles and surface-to-surface missiles were launched toward Israeli territory," the Israeli military said.
Earlier on Thursday (11 Sept), the Israeli military said it intercepted two launches from Yemen, a missile and a drone, operations the Houthis claimed responsibility for later.
Houthis, who control the most populous parts of Yemen, have attacked vessels in the Red Sea in what they describe as acts of solidarity with the Palestinians in Gaza.
They have also fired missiles towards Israel, most of which have been intercepted.
Israel has responded with strikes on Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen, including the vital Hodeidah port.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment