live Sustainable reconstruction on the agenda as WUF13 comes to a close in Azerbaijan
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum nears an end, Azerbaijan's Pavilion will showcase reconstruction efforts in its liberated territor...
A manhunt is underway in suburban Houston after a gunman opened fire at a local bar early Sunday, killing one person and injuring five others, police said.
The incident occurred at the Alas Locas sports bar in Cleveland, about 72 kilometres (45 miles) northeast of Houston, according to the Liberty County Sheriff’s Office. Witnesses told authorities that the suspect had been quietly drinking alone before suddenly opening fire on patrons sitting on the bar’s outdoor patio.
Captain David Myers of the Liberty County Sheriff’s Office said the gunman fired at least 20 shots before fleeing the scene. Authorities described the suspect’s weapon as a .40 or .45-calibre handgun. He reportedly left in a white full-size van with no side windows, heading in an unknown direction.
One victim, who had been at the bar with his wife, was critically injured and flown by medical helicopter to Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead. Five other people — four men and a woman — were wounded, with two reported in critical condition.
Police are reviewing security footage to help identify and apprehend the suspect. Myers said the shooter arrived at the bar between midnight and 2 a.m., ordering a drink but largely avoiding interaction before returning to the patio to open fire. A motive has not yet been determined.
This shooting marks the second mass shooting at a Houston-area bar this year. On 23 March, six people were shot, including four critically, at the Latinas Sports Bar in southwest Houston. Authorities later arrested a 25-year-old Venezuelan national, Jose Miguel Briceno, in connection with that incident. A second suspect is still believed to have fled to Mexico.
Briceno, who faced federal charges including aggravated assault and firearms violations, was reportedly involved in a broader crackdown on members of the Anti-Tren transnational criminal organisation, which authorities said has been involved in turf wars and violent crime in the Houston area.
The Liberty County Sheriff’s Office and the Texas Department of Public Safety are continuing their investigation. Police urge anyone with information about the suspect or the shooting to come forward.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
South Korea’s Samsung Electronics is facing its largest potential labour action in years, with tens of thousands of workers preparing for a prolonged strike over bonuses and profit-sharing at a time when the company is benefiting from a global artificial intelligence (AI) driven chip boom.
South Korean workers manufacturing chips for Samsung Electronics are set to vote on a pay deal that could see some of them receive $416,000 in bonuses.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Nigeria’s anti-drug agency says it has dismantled a methamphetamine production syndicate in what officials describe as the country’s largest drugs seizure of its kind.
After many years, reams of regulatory paperwork and a well-timed presidential visit, Tesla has finally launched its Full Self-Driving (FSD) system in China, the world’s largest electric vehicle market and one in which competitors have been rapidly advancing their autonomous driving capabilities.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment